Ford Escape The newest smaller SUV from Ford allows the buyer to have the use of an SUV without the hunger for fuel that so many SUVs display.

Towing with 08 Escape

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 11:38 AM
Arrow Towing with 08 Escape

HI. I bought a 2008 Ford Escape with 40,000 miles on it (yes, very low).
It has an inline 4 cylinder, and does not have much pep, but it's a good vehicle.
The towing capacity on it is 1,000 pounds, which is fine.
We had planned on renting a 6x12 u-haul that has 2 axles, and I believe brake assist as well, which I assume just works through the light kit.
In any case, do you think it will make the haul from South Florida to Chicago in 2 ten hour days?
I was planning on doing a full transmission flush (with synthetics).
Or is there anything else that I would have to do to ensure we do not break down on the way?
I have only had it for a few months, so I wanted to get input from seasoned owners.
Thank you kindly.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:35 PM

doubt your vehicle (2008, 2.3L) by the manufacturer specifications will be rated anywhere close for the trailer you are planning on utilizing.

The weight of the potential trailer (EMPTY) from U-Haul is 1,920 lbs (look at attachment under capacity) which in itself already is beyond what the manufacturer states for your vehicle, never mind the ADDITIONAL WEIGHT of the cargo. Seeing your vehicle is the 2.3L your trailer max weight is 1,500 lbs, however you also must reduce that amount by any passengers and cargo that you plan on having within the vehicle itself. So the 1,500 lbs in a maximum trailer weight, if you carry passengers in the car itself then that number is reduced equally for any additional passenger or baggage.

Perhaps i linked to the wrong trailer, however most 12 foot cargo trailers are upwards to 2,000 lbs in my experience, and 12 foot Utility trailers are upwards to 1,700 lbs.....either one is over your vehicle rating EMPTY.

The GCWR (Gross combined weight rating) includes the vehicle (~3,500) + additional vehicle passengers & cargo + maximum fully loaded trailer and cargo (1,500) for a total on your particular vehicle with the 2.3L powertrain of ~5,000 lbs. That 1,500 lb maximum trailer weight gets reduced by additional passengers or cargo in the vehicle itself.

2008 Ford Escape User manual: (approximately page 176)
​​​​​​https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle...owner-manuals/

I read that a lot of people in 2.3L variants do carry much larger loads however i personally would not do it or attempt it, you will be over the specifications with towing a completely EMPTY trailer and no passengers or luggage in the vehicle itself. I don't mind damaging the vehicle as cars can be fixed, i worry that an accident ensues and someone gets hurt (or worse) the liability will be immense. I doubt insurance will even cover that accident, and when you pull into the U-haul i wonder if they would even allow you to take a trailer knowing their liability in renting you a trailer than empty exceeds your vehicle manufacturer specifications.

The Ford Escape 3.0L can make this combination just work, however that increases the trailer loading to 3,500 lbs from 1,500 lbs which is an extra 2,000 lbs in itself.

I love Chicago by the way.

Last edited by Ballroomblitz; 08-10-2023 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ballroomblitz
doubt your vehicle (2008, 2.3L) by the manufacturer specifications will be rated anywhere close for the trailer you are planning on utilizing.

The weight of the potential trailer (EMPTY) from U-Haul is 1,920 lbs (look at attachment under capacity) which in itself already is beyond what the manufacturer states for your vehicle, never mind the ADDITIONAL WEIGHT of the cargo. Seeing your vehicle is the 2.3L your trailer max weight is 1,500 lbs, however you also must reduce that amount by any passengers and cargo that you plan on having within the vehicle itself. So the 1,500 lbs in a maximum trailer weight, if you carry passengers in the car itself then that number is reduced equally for any additional passenger or baggage.

Perhaps i linked to the wrong trailer, however most 12 foot cargo trailers are upwards to 2,000 lbs in my experience, and 12 foot Utility trailers are upwards to 1,700 lbs.....either one is over your vehicle rating EMPTY.

The GCWR (Gross combined weight rating) includes the vehicle (~3,500) + additional vehicle passengers & cargo + maximum fully loaded trailer and cargo (1,500) for a total on your particular vehicle with the 2.3L powertrain of ~5,000 lbs. That 1,500 lb maximum trailer weight gets reduced by additional passengers or cargo in the vehicle itself.

2008 Ford Escape User manual: (approximately page 176)
​​​​​​https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle...owner-manuals/

I read that a lot of people in 2.3L variants do carry much larger loads however i personally would not do it or attempt it, you will be over the specifications with towing a completely EMPTY trailer and no passengers or luggage in the vehicle itself. I don't mind damaging the vehicle as cars can be fixed, i worry that an accident ensues and someone gets hurt (or worse) the liability will be immense. I doubt insurance will even cover that accident, and when you pull into the U-haul i wonder if they would even allow you to take a trailer knowing their liability in renting you a trailer than empty exceeds your vehicle manufacturer specifications.

The Ford Escape 3.0L can make this combination just work, however that increases the trailer loading to 3,500 lbs from 1,500 lbs which is an extra 2,000 lbs in itself.

I love Chicago by the way.
Thanks for the info that you have provided.
I have an appointment with my mechanic to address some of these items, and to get a transmission flush and larger cooler.