Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

01 7.3 Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Default 01 7.3 Q's

Hey everyone. I am new here. This is my first post. I have a question on my 01 7.3 4X4. It is lifted 6" and I am running 35" on it. It is getting horrable gas mileage. I am sitting at about 10.5 with it. Is that right? I have friends running 34"and 33" tires and they are doing about 17-19 in their trucks. I was thinking at worst 15 MPG but 10.5 is killing me.
I also wanted to know about the programmers. I have been looking at the Hypertech and I was wondering if any of you have that one or can give me some pointers on one. I am looking for the something inexpensive.
Thanks for listening to a Noob
Dan

Old 04-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Default RE: 01 7.3 Q's

first of all you need to let it breathe better....get an aftermarket intake and get rid of the factory "box". I've got the Tymar intake, but there are others.

Then improve the exhaust as the factory one is VERY restrictive. I had my muffler removed for a simple straight-pipe and if your 2001 4x4 Limited is like mine it will not have a cat converter ( further restrictions ). A little loud when you romp it, but you cannot mistake the turning heads when you idle by with the turbo whizzz heard by all.

The lift and huge tires do cause a drop in MPGs...I'm running 285 Michelins...and get around 15-16 on the highway if I stay out of the pedal. I do not have a lift but am running F350 springs that lift me about 1-2".

I also have a Microchips Super Tuner set on the extreme mode all the time...I did have an Edge Evolution and it is a "hotter" tuner, but the tranny shift points are not adjusted with the Edge...so I got the MCST and it does communicate with the tranny and changes the shift points....much better and less likely to trash the tranny than the Edge. I've been running the MCST on high setting for about 30,000 miles...no problems.

I run 100% bio-diesel most of the time....and have 165,000 miles on it old dog....still doing great.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Default RE: 01 7.3 Q's

First off, Is the speedo calibrated for the tire size? The intake is a needed improvment along with the exhaust and on and on. There are many short comings that can be improved apond. I like brute power so the tymar was not the intake of choise. 60 to 70 degree air makes the milage. true cold air, I don't mean fender well either but from the grill to the turbo at a full 4". They don't make anything like this so I made my own. If your buddys have 7.3's with lifts and big tires and say there getting 17 to 19mpg's, they should have payed more attention in math class. I have never seen a Powerstroke or Duramax with lift and tires get anymore than 15.5. Bone stock, My x ran right at 17mpg on the road and 15.8 in town. With the speedo done and 37" tires with 8" lift is a different story along with mass engine mod's. Every manufacture will say how much HP and MPG there product makes. If that was the case I should have 600HP and get 50MPG. You will lose a little with the lift and tires but get it back with some simple mod's.