Ford Excursion So the size of the Expedition is not enough for you, then the massive Excursion is the way to go. With options including a powerful diesel engine, the Excursion is like a tractor trailer built for family use.

Diesel -vs- V10

Old 08-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Default Diesel -vs- V10

Hey guys, new to the forums. I have a Dodge Durango right now and I'm looking to upgrade to the Excursion. Problem is I don't know if I want a Diesel or V10. I do do a fair amount of towing and I'm looking to also get a bigger camper, about 30', which is why I need the bigger SUV.

Which one seems to have less problems? I have heard the V10 blows out sparkplugs and that's about all I've heard. Nothing on the Diesel. But I am not on these forums much at all, so I don't see most of the problems come up Like I do on The Durangos.

How are the Tranny's also?

Thanks for any help in making up my mind!!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Diesel -vs- V10

Welcome to the site..

What year Excursion are you concidering?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM

03 or so. Mileage will dictate that though. If I find an 01 with considirably less miles and a lower price, I'll go there. 01at the oldest though. I would like an 03 though.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

The 6.8 is a good power plant, sound great, and a good performer.. But, if your towing moderate/heavy the diesel/s will out pull the 6.8 and 'easily' squeeze more out of a tank of fuel and something to consideron the open road for distance.. Mileage's are going to vary considerably sincethere is the possibility of 3 engines (leaving the 5.4 out of the equation)in your choice if you go later in the MY's.. 6.8, 7.3, 6.0.. 7.3 would be the mileage leader, 6.8 not so..
A good clean low mileage 7.3 EX is hard to beat , probably a better bargain in a purchase, but the 7.3 can be a bit 'louder' than the 6.0/6.8 if a quiet ride is important .. The 6.0 has had more of a repair 'history' over the 7.3 and something to consider going diesel.. The Triton plug/thread issues wouldn't overly concern me, and there's 'in place' repair for the pulled threads now.. Initail and maintenance costs are slightly higher on a diesel, but the mileage offset if towing often/heavywould compensate for those numbers.. Power can be added easier to a diesel over gas if that's a future avenue.. The trans are adequate, more so in the later builds, if serviced 'regularly'... 15K severe duty, 30K standard...

If I were looking for a towing brute at/and a good bargain, I'd probably look for a well kept 7.3.. Although both of my 6.0's have been flawless and pull well.. I've towed with all 3 power plants, 6.8, 7.3, 6.0 and haven't been disappointed with either..

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Thank you sir!! From the context of your sentence, I assume you mean the plug threads "wouldn't" overly concern you?

There isn't alot of activity on the excursion boards I see.... Kind of a bummer. The Durango boards are always hoppin!

I noticed you have a 69 TA?!?! You are sitting on a gem!!! I have a 72 firebird. Not quit the collectors item as yours, but I love the ol'pontiacs!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, meant 'wouldn't'..

The T/A is fun car, and I'm a old iron Pontiac junkie as well.. It's a RAM AIR III, 4sd... Complete all the way to down the 8 track player with the dealer demo cartridge.. Had'er since 1974.. Paid 800.00 for it during the 'first' gas shortage.. Had some slight body damage to drop the price, but back then you almost couldn't give away a muscle car... It was for sale just prior to my purchase (and damage) at 2500.00 and didn't sell..

Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM

still for sale?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Told the wife I want to be buried in it, with the engine running and a full tank of gas! [sm=gears.gif]

Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM

I have a 2000 Excursion with the V10, only 66k on it, and have never had to change the plugs. If your going to be towing a lot i would recomend the diesel, gas may be a little more but you will get much better milage. I would recommend going with a 03', with the 6L powerstroke. The new powerstroke is the most powerful and fuel efficent engine available for the Excursion, with 325 HP, 570 ft-lbs, and 24 mpg highway, it is the way i would go.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 PM

All right I found a 2000 with a 7.3 and only 19,000 miles. I am close to buying. But not totally sold yet. I also found an 04 with the 6.0 diesel. what were the problems with this engine? how can they be addressed? Comparing the 2, how much of a diff am i going to notice on power? How much difference in noise? Is it "the radio/DVD player is going to irrelevent" loud? How about normal acceleration? I read somewhere the 6.0 deisel is faster, but am I going to need 3 miles of on ramp to get up to 65?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel -vs- V10