Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2000 Expedition Think its the turn signal switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Default 2000 Expedition Think its the turn signal switch

Hi everyone,
I have a 2000 Expedition. I've had it for almost 3 years, already replaced the motor (thanks to my hubby), replaced turn signal switch, and of course, the normal general upkeep/maintenance.
Last night it started acting possessed. It was trying to start itself, but not turning over (the sound it makes when you have a dead battery and it's trying to start, before it gets to the clicking stage). The radio kept turning itself on, heater/ac kept turning themselves on, and lights were blinking on and off. FYI Keys were in the house and I do not have automatic start.
It has done things that were similar in the past, and that was the turn signal switch. I guess it doesn't make sense to me that it's the turn signal switch again, since those don't tend to go out often. Just looking for other ideas/suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Was a fairly common problem on the F series and Excursions for the windshields to leak on the left corner (usually after a glass replacement) or would collect there, and cause water to run down the inside firewall cowl area following the wiring harness on down and end up dripping into the Central Junction Box (CJB) and into the GEM module. They piggy backed eash other so both would be affected most times. It would corrode the fuse connections as well as the GEM.

It would cause alot of the issues you describe, although i haven't heard of the problem with the Expedition, it would be the first area I'd suspect.. Look under the dash and see if you notice any evidence of new/prior water 'tracking' up high on the firewall/cowl area or any harness marks. Look at the CJB and see if you see any green corrosion. Sometimes you'll see clean streaks in the normal dust collected on the harness and components as evidence of water leaking down.. May not be the problem, but certainly worth a look.. GEM and CJB are on the left dash area.

If you ever saw the 80's movei Christine? (Christie1984),, we gave these trucks that nick name.. The radios would come on (with the keys in the service office) and the engines would crank over with no one even near them.. Was creepy..

Last edited by Hayapower; 11-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Welcome to the site..

Was a fairly common problem on the F series and Excursions for the windshields to leak on the left corner (usually after a glass replacement) or would collect there, and cause water to run down the inside firewall cowl area following the wiring harness on down and end up dripping into the Central Junction Box (CJB) and into the GEM module. They piggy backed eash other so both would be affected most times. It would corrode the fuse connections as well as the GEM.

It would cause alot of the issues you describe, although i haven't heard of the problem with the Expedition, it would be the first area I'd suspect.. Look under the dash and see if you notice any evidence of new/prior water 'tracking' up high on the firewall/cowl area or any harness marks. Look at the CJB and see if you see any green corrosion. Sometimes you'll see clean streaks in the normal dust collected on the harness and components as evidence of water leaking down.. May not be the problem, but certainly worth a look.. GEM and CJB are on the left dash area.

If you ever saw the 80's movei Christine? (Christie1984),, we gave these trucks that nick name.. The radios would come on (with the keys in the service office) and the engines would crank over with no one even near them.. Was creepy..

Thanks for the idea. That actually makes sense that a leaky windshield could be the issue. I've never noticed it leaking, but I'll be looking into that today. I know the windshield in mine has never been replaced, but there is a crack in it (stupid dump trucks hauling rocks ) so I need to get it replaced soon. This truck is definitely a "Christine" truck. LOL