Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2003 Expedition door sensors

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Default 2003 Expedition door sensors

Does anyone know where the door sensors are located in a 2003 Ford Expedition. My "door ajar" light stays on constantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Default RE: 2003 Expedition door sensors

door switches are connected to the inside of the door latch you have one in every door so you will have to find out which one it is ,easy to replace just remove your door panel and remove 3 torque screws holding your door latch so you can turn it and see better.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:00 AM

man...........i am having the exact same problems with my 2003 XLT............no matter how hard it is slammed now..........it seems to stay on.............but the lights still go off when u accel to about 10mph...............anyone found a solution to this problem yet?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Before you replace the door switches, try spraying a penatrant into the lower portion of door latch, the complete latch, then followed up with a 'lite' lube spray.. The problem with these pin type switches is that their mounted on the 'underside' of the door latch with the pin 'pointed' upwards.. There isn't any seal on the actuating pin and dirt/debris collects and makes its way into/on the switch/pin making it stick..Sometimes with a littlework they come loose.. Worth a shot prior to pulling the trim panel/s... If you can borrow a diagnostic scanner, or know someone with one,it will tell you which door circuit reads 'open' in the body system data...

Old 01-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Good pointer HAYAPOWER I did not know the scanner had this feature, very good to know.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM

If you continue to have this problem,you should spray some lubricant in the door latch and that should correct your issue. I had the same problem with my 2003 Expedition as well..
ORIGINAL: tazpal

Does anyone know where the door sensors are located in a 2003 Ford Expedition. My "door ajar" light stays on constantly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM

yes do the lube, years ago on my 03 had the same thing, would drain my battery, drove me crazy, did the lube worked great.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 PM

Would the door sensors cause the interior lights and running board lights to come on randomly as well?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 AM

I would think if the sensor is going bad it would set off the lights, back when I was having the problem I would come out to a dead battery because it was happening so often. Ever since then I have always left the dimmer switch off for the lights and only turn it up when driving at night. I would check the back glass or hatchback for the faulty switches, there very easy to bypass, just use a paper clip to jumper the plug temporaily to see if the lights stay off, then just replace or what I did cut the wires and splice them together to bypass the sensor. When I tried to check the door it was a nightmare, I got it apart and cant remember if I could reach the plug all I remember was it was very hard and thats why I went to the back door.
________
STARBUCKS GIFT CARD

Last edited by mikegigabyte; 04-20-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:12 PM

Yes they will but will go out after a little time. It was easy for me to figure out which switch was bad. It was my rear window and i found it by accident. The rear windshield wiper would not work even though the window was closed and the motor checked out. I replaced the micro switch inside the door.

Quick Reply: 2003 Expedition door sensors