Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2003 expo vibrations when turning from take off

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Default 2003 expo vibrations when turning from take off

[:-]i'v noticed that avey time i take off from a stop or low speed when turning i feel a vib. from the front. like driving on loose gravel feel. yet it does not vib. when taking off in a stright line. could this be some kind of steering bearings or ball joint stuff. this is my first ford and i'm used to the good ol days of distributers, coils and high rise intakes.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Default RE: 2003 expo vibrations when turning from take off

SO, has any one out here know anything about this kind of problem or similer problems?????

Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 PM

I would take it to get a anignment.These guy's pinpoint everything in the front end before they do one and if somthing is wrong they wont align it. They will tell you what is wrong and charge you nothing.But it sound's like it might be a wheel bearing.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 PM

If it is under warranty, then get this fixed! If not, complain!

TSB 06-02-16

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2004 Expedition, 2003 Navigator, 2004 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle, and 2002-2004 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, and Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle, may exhibit a chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. On 4X4 vehicles, the sensation may appear to be originating from the front axle or the steering gear.

ACTION:
First verify the condition. On 4X4 trucks ensure that the vehicle is in 2WD, to isolate the rear axle. On all vehicles, turn the wheel fully right (or fully left) and then accelerate the vehicle. If the condition is verified to be in the rear axle, replace the limited slip clutch pack.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 AM

hay man, i realy thank you a lot. your info came at the right time. i'm taking it to the dealer that i bought it from. i bought it used at a dodge dealer. so i dont know what to expect from them, but i printed out your responce. i'll show him and let them fig. it out. the first time i took it to them thay said the tires where wore unevenly so thay rotated them and told me to drive the suv for a week or two and see if that fixes it. that sounded gay to me considering if worked on vech. all my life, but only on 80 models and back. so all this computer and teck stuff is confusing to me. if i start messing with all that computer stuff on my suf i'll have the windows rolling down when i turn on the radio.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:31 PM

Yes, and we have had it looked at by several mechanics both Ford Service and Independent, none have an explanation for the noise. I own a 1998 Expedtion (EB). The noise began around 85,000 miles. From a standstill, when taking off with wheels turned, it sounds like a grinding noise.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:35 PM

Does this apply to 2 wheel drive as well. I have the same noise with my 1998 (EB).

Old 08-11-2006, 02:22 PM

well i got back from the dealer. the tech guy and i went for a ride so he could feel the vib. it's just like a darn cell phone, when you got to have it looked at all the problems you had seam to go away when the tech guys look at it. same here we drove for 30 min. or so trying to get it to vib. on take off. the stupid thing would not do it. i felt soo stuped. here i am telling this guy to go here turn like this with this much gas and nothing happens except getting a tire and making black marks on the pavment. now this morning when i jump in it to go to work. i put it in rev. and it backs up in a slight jurking motion. put it in nut. and i feel the motor pulsing. like a old hoped up 350 with a mild cam. NOW WHAT? i take off and i feel it all the way up the driveway. stop pop the hoood and i can see the motor pulsing from left to right like a worped piston shaft would do. all ready running late i take off. about 2 miles down the road check engine light starts flashing. so when i get to the main stop sign i put it in park to see if i still feel the motor pulsing. nope it seams to have disapared. the check engion light is still on tho. when i take off to turn on the main road guess what theres the vibration. man this sucks. now my wife calls me a tells me that the breaks on the van are hanging up. WHAT'S NEXT?????

Old 08-15-2006, 07:29 PM

2003 Ford Expedition
Bulletin #: 03198
Sequence #: 10004037
Date: 09/06/2004
Component Name: 106000 power train:axle assembly
Make: Ford
Model: Expedition
Year: 2003
Summary: Chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or vibration during low speed turns on vehicles equipped with the 9.75 inch or 8.8 inch limited slip rear axle. *tt
---------------------------------------

i got a hold of the dealership to find out if my 03 had limited slip. he told me the only way to find out is if you look under the truck at the rear end and on the back there should be a tag. if it has for example 309 it does not have l.s., but if t has a L in it for example 3L09 it does have l.s.

i hope this might help some of yall out.
i'm fixen to craw under mine to take a look at it's a$$ and find out.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:47 AM

Please relay the info from my earlier post. Do you want it fixed?
I have had several Expeditions with this condition and they were all fixed by replacing the rear-end clutch-pack assys.

And doubledog, please start a new thread with your concern. That older model may have an unrelated problem due to the model year.

Quick Reply: 2003 expo vibrations when turning from take off