Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

2005 Expedition Rust on Tail Gate

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Default 2005 Expedition Rust on Tail Gate

I posted this in the General Tech forum but thought I'd post it here too:

I have another question. My expedition started developping rust on the tail gate very early on. As the warranty was about to expire, Ford actually re-painted it for me. I see now that there are several more rust bubbles popping up and there is a spot at the base of the tail gate that is now about the size of a quarter.

I live in a rural area where we drive a lot of gravel and I pull a utility trailer, so I might be getting rock chips on the tail gate. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this, or if my problem is unique. I also was wondering why there would be rust if the paint gets chipped. I thought that auto parts were galvanized now. I know my wife's GMC Envoy has towed the utility trailer at least as much as my Expedition, and she certainly has no rust bubbles on her truck.

Thanks again for your help,

Al T

Old 08-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Default Rust

I also have a 2005 Expedition with rust on the tail gate.I have bubbles in several places around the license plate area. These have been developing for years and my warranty is long gone now. I have heard of other Expeditions with the same complaint. I believe the problem is widespread in these vehicles from what I have seen and heard. I have thought that the inexpensive way to deal with it is to sand them down and use the same paint that you can purchase in a very small container from the dealer and just cover the area with it although I have never actually done it yet.