Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Front Washer Fluid Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by wbny
Here's the fix

(2017 Ford Expedition Platinum Max, but all of these expeditions have the same fuse/relay setup for the wiper/washer system)

If your front wipers move but no fluid comes out of the front nozzles and there is no noise from the washer motor, and your rear wiper moves and fluid does come out of the rear nozzle, and you can hear the washer motor running, then the problem may be that there is a relay in the wrong position.

Please note, this solution will probably not help you if you can hear the washer motor running when you press the front wash button.

There are 10 the exactly same shaped relays in the fuse box under the front hood. 9 of the relays are 'AB' configuration, and 1 of them is 'BA'. The 'BA' relay has 5 prongs while all of the other 9 'AB' relays have 4 prongs. The 'BA' relay is the washer relay; the 5th prong is probably what sends the signal to the washer fluid pump to turn on. The single 'BA' relay has to be in the upper left position (position #1). I found the 'BA' relay to be in the wrong position, someone was probably troubleshooting and thought they were all the same, because they all look the same, except for one detail - the 'BA' doesn't have the small white rectangle like all of the other 'AB' relays.

The rear washer and fluid works with the relays out of position because there is a prong for the rear circuit, but not for the front; it needs the fifth prong to send the opposite polarity to the washer motor to spin in the opposite direction to supply the front nozzles with fluid.

You can confirm that the 'BA' relay goes into the slot #1 by confirming that there are 5 metal contacts compared to 4 on every other slot.

Good luck.
W

The 'BA' relay goes in position #1.

The 'BA' relay goes in position #1

Confirm the correct position by checking for 5 metal contacts.
Thank you!
So, I wake up this morning and my wife is stressing because her wiper fluid does not work. Same diagnostics as everyone on this thread with the rear working. Etc.
I am a good for nothing can't fix it in her raging eyes. I proceed outside where it is currently 10 degrees on this fine January day in New England. And boom! I'm outside for three minutes to find out that the BA relay was moved to slot 4. (Her expedition was at a Ford dealer last week for a blower motor recall and they must have swapped the spots) So, Thank you! I would have gone down a long road of checking things and would have not noticed this on my own. You literally gave me a whole Sunday back.