Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

GAS POURING FROM FILTER!!! '03 EXPEDITION

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Default GAS POURING FROM FILTER!!! '03 EXPEDITION

Hi to all...
My wife pulled up the other day and fuel was pouring from under the left side of her Expidition. Not just leaking, but really comming out!! I found that one of the fuel line QD's had slid back on the rear of the fuel filter. Is this something that is a problem with these connectors on the fuel line? I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow for replacement (I hope). My intent right now is to insist on them replacing the fittings. Anyone have this happen to them???

Thanks for any info...

Dave

Old 08-31-2005, 03:56 AM
Default RE: GAS POURING FROM FILTER!!!

Normally there is a secondary metal outer locking Clip, That slips over the fuel line an the filter. Thats there to prevent this from happing ,In case the lil fingers in the bell of the fuel line fail . , It looks a little like an elongated C.,, I cant say I have ever seen one just fail in the 18 yrs.( counting the plastic clips that were used before ) that Ford has used this type set up..Any chance something may have hit it from underneath ??? Has the filter been changed lately ??? Prehaps someone failed to replace the outer clip for some reason ,,,Also they had to have messed up the inner locking spring clip as well. It takes a special tool to release the lil fingers inside the bell of the fuel line, I have never seen one just pop off , you cant even pull them off with out the tool . I would look at the bell end of the fuel line an make sure its not damaged ...I guess its possible during the manufacture of the filter that the lil nub/ hump in the tube of the filter could have been incomplete , But once again never seen it .., Let us know what you find .,,,,,,,,,,,,

[sm=gears.gif]

Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM

Thanks Ramrod for the info. The plastic shield/guard was in place, so I don't think anything could have hit it. No work done on fuel system or filter. When I figured out where the fuel was coming from I simply pushed it back on and heard a positive "click" and no more leak. I don't recall seeing any external clip you mentioned??? I dropped it off at the dealer this morning, so we'll see what they say. I will post thier findings and action as soon as I find out.

Thanks again

Dave

Old 08-31-2005, 03:25 PM

Never seen that either, guess it just never got pushed in to begain with. [sm=interesting.gif]

Old 08-31-2005, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: cctxfish

Never seen that either, guess it just never got pushed in to begain with. [sm=interesting.gif]
Has 31K miles on it. Sure lasted a long time if not put on properly? It's a 2003.

Also speaking of 31K miles, the dealer just called and said it NEEDS a injector flush @ $140.00. Does this sound right? Injectors require flush after only 31K miles??? He also said something about a coil being bad? My wife actually spoke to them not me. I'm still trying to make contact and just wanted a little info from here first...

Thanks for any reply's

Dave

Old 08-31-2005, 07:52 PM

Honestly if it was mine I wouldnt worry about a flush till like 50,000 miles,,, On the coil yea thats possible for it to fail , I would ask him for more info , Did they pull the codes from the puther to track down the coil, ( did it say like cyl # 7 has misfired like XXXX # of times in the last cycle, or something to that effect ) Quiz him make him work for his money , If so Ask why he thinks its the coil , did it test low on the ohms test ?, ( Is the coil going to be covered under warranty ? )

Old 09-01-2005, 02:23 PM

Yeppers, I never fix anything not broken [sm=bs.gif]

Old 09-01-2005, 05:16 PM

never ever >

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 09-01-2005, 06:54 PM

[sm=wtf.gif][sm=dontgetit.gif] what pics? [sm=icon_beat.gif]