Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Information on Expedition

Old 11-23-2004, 04:28 PM
Default Information on Expedition

Hi my name is Llogan. I am new to the Ford forum and was just wandering if anybody owns the Expedition? If so I was just wandering if anyone would mind providing some information about it. I was just wandering what model do you own. Does it seem to be holding out pretty good? Does it seem to be a good vehicle? Do you get lots of compliments on it? What is the gas mileage on the Expedition that you own? Does your vehicle have good passing power? What kind of features does your Expedition provide?

Old 06-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Default RE: Information on Expedition

I own a 2000. It has the 5.4 and AWD. It has been very reliable. We bought it with 42K miles on it and it now has about 82k and no major problems. Good tires are always a good idea. I only use Michelins and love them but make sure to rotate them on schedule or the front tires will wear. We get about 18 mpg on the highway if we keep it around 75 and aren't running the AC. Otherwise we get 14-15 mpg (10-12 towing). It has plenty of power for passing and towing and is a great all-around vehicle. I have an Airaid air intake and filter on it as well as a Flowmaster muffler. The only complaint I have is that some of the little plastic pieces on the interior break easily.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:27 AM

I have a '99 Expedition Eddie Bauer with the 5.4. Mine has 65,000 miles on it. It's a real workhorse. I've had to replace two ignition coils (it has one per cylinder) and a starter motor, but that's it. Just basic maintenance and small repairs. There are faster SUV's but the torque is good. I'd buy another one. I get 18 MPG on the highway and about 10-12 MPG on the many, many 3-mile "stop and go" trips I make each week.

Old 07-27-2005, 09:03 PM

I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer 4X4, bought it new, we have 60,000 miles on it and use to tow own 5000# boat across the Mohave desert. Plenty of power, and I average 10 MPG towing, 16-17 highway without. Absolutely love this truck. I'll just say that you should be careful if you wash down your engine as I often do. Be careful around the COP. You'll end up with a misfire if you get water in the plug hole and dont dry it out. The only other complaint I have is the rear wiper switch has broke twice on me. I do a lot of towing and flush my tranny every 20,000 miles, so far so good. Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll love it as much as the rest of us.

Old 11-23-2006, 01:07 PM

I recently washed my engine, though I followed the manual on what parts to cover, i think that something got wet probably the plugs coz after that my truck drives differently. What's COB and what would I do if water gets in the spark plug hole?
Thanks in advance for your reply

Old 11-24-2006, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

It's 'COP'..

Stands for Coil On Plug.. Even though the plug 'wells' are semi sealed with the coil/plug wires, water, especially under pressure can get by the wire/bore and down into the cylinder plug hole/s bore.. You can use compressed air to help speed up dry time by blowing air around the plug wires.. Engine heat will eventually dry the wells out if no further water intrusion ..

Old 11-24-2006, 11:03 AM

where can I find the COP? is this the spark plug wire? Sorry for my ignorance

Old 11-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

COP is 'Coil on plug' meaning that intead of a single coil or coil pack setup and routed spark plug wires, each indiviual cylinder/spark plug has its own coil mounted topside of the spark plug/hole.. Here's a few pics of what they look like...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/9DE2F0AC65D441588376773B73ADCB5A.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/E3ACCFAA864146AE91BFD35535D60C04.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6756/F6FD5BDEAB0947BE9CEA05D309722B84.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Anyone here have an Expedition and a short wife?

We are currently pricing a few out, and plan to test drive some this weekend. However, my wife is very short (5ft tall if I am being generous) and I am wondering if there is anyone here that can tell me if the seats can be adjusted to allow her to reach pedals and see over the hood to drive.

I know we will find out for sure when test driving, but knowing what to expect would be nice.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:21 AM

on the xlt version and some others. there are pedel positioning switches and the seat will all most adjust high anuf and front anuf the touch the stearing wheel. if you a 4ft tall you can still drive an xlt version for sure, btu i dont know if any other models have the same options.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Information on Expedition