Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Mach Stereo System Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Default Mach Stereo System Subwoofer

Okay im new here so hey everyone. Im going to be as explanatory as possible. I am not an idiot but seem to get stumped by the most simple issues sometimes. I own a 1998 Expedition (EB) The Mach stereo system has a 8 inch subwoofer back in the back behind the second seat next to the thrid row seat (passenger side) this speaker is blown and needs replaced. Ford no longer carries the speaker so you have to buy it OEM or something of this sort. now here is my issue. I removed the plastic cover that hides the speaker and etc. I removed the 8-10 self tapping screws around the speaker. and all that came off was the black dust cover. the speaker is not coming out of there for some reason. i have looked all over the outside of that speaker and cannot see what in the world could be holding it in there. I have pulled very hard on it (as brave as i can be without screwing something up) thinking it may be 3m double sided sticky tape in there since it is a sub and could vibrate a bit. If anyone knows the trick to getting that 8 inch sub speaker out of the black plastic enclosure it is in please let me know. Email me or post a reply to this thread. i could use this information as soon as possible... Thanks

Old 08-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Default RE: Mach Stereo System Subwoofer

After taking your subwoofer out, did the back of the speaker indicate the RMS power and ohms?
Where you able to find a replacement speaker? The Ford parts depatment told me they did not supply speaker only.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:36 PM

OK, most of your subwoffer tubs and bass tubes are pre formed, witch means most of the time its a throw away item. but, i'm under the impression that if thay can make it, i can take it apart. now i've never seen you type of woffer. if you can post some pics maybe with all the people in this group we might be able to figue it out. i'll do some checking with some sterio guys i know to see if thay have incountered this problem befor. same goes with you, you might drop by a car stiro shop and ask for some friendly advice. if all else fales ask someone that does it for a liven.

ORIGINAL: ScmCrush

Okay im new here so hey everyone. Im going to be as explanatory as possible. I am not an idiot but seem to get stumped by the most simple issues sometimes. I own a 1998 Expedition (EB) The Mach stereo system has a 8 inch subwoofer back in the back behind the second seat next to the thrid row seat (passenger side) this speaker is blown and needs replaced. Ford no longer carries the speaker so you have to buy it OEM or something of this sort. now here is my issue. I removed the plastic cover that hides the speaker and etc. I removed the 8-10 self tapping screws around the speaker. and all that came off was the black dust cover. the speaker is not coming out of there for some reason. i have looked all over the outside of that speaker and cannot see what in the world could be holding it in there. I have pulled very hard on it (as brave as i can be without screwing something up) thinking it may be 3m double sided sticky tape in there since it is a sub and could vibrate a bit. If anyone knows the trick to getting that 8 inch sub speaker out of the black plastic enclosure it is in please let me know. Email me or post a reply to this thread. i could use this information as soon as possible... Thanks

Old 11-30-2006, 12:32 AM

Hi Guys & Gals... I new here and what I did when my sub started to crackle, I called Crutchfield... I got a Kicker 8 " sub, It sounds great and it was only like 90 Dollars.. The bumer of the whole thing was the time it took to get to it... Then just a little mod. the sub box.. And your set !!! Good luck and take your time.... Tim

Old 12-10-2006, 11:28 AM

I think the original question was, "How do I get this dag, blamed thing off?!"

Well, you have to take the entire enclosure out of the truck to access a bolt which screws through the middle of the magnet in the subwoofer... once that's complete, it'll fall off the plastic enclosure.

Good Luck!