Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Newbie - Trailer Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Default Newbie - Trailer Lights

Hi Guys - I have been silently following your posts for a few weeks and appreciate the wealth of information you willingly share. Thanks a million!!!!! Us Newbie's really do appreciate the insight and dolook forwardto contributing in the future.

I have been working on my trailer light connections for my 2000 expedition (with tow package) for a few days. The problem is that I have no runing/parking lights. All other turn /brake lights work fine. I searched the previous topics and did find much useful information.

I have confirmed I do not have 12V at the parking light pin at the rear connector. All standardlights work on the truck. The problem seems to be isolated to the trailer plug circuits.

I have a stable base of electrical knowledge in volt/ohm meters and basic test procedures but am hoping some of you may be familiar with common trouble shooting steps before I begin from scratch. Any help/suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance

Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie - Trailer Lights

Welcome to the site..

Did you check fuse position #5/20amp in the Power Distribution Box under the hood? It circuit protects the trailer tow park/backups.. The vehicle and trailering lights are independent of one another.. Could possibly be the trailer tow park lamp relay (201) in the PDB.. If you have the owners manual it will show fuse/relay positions.. You can try and swap out one of the other relays to see if it is a faulted relay as well.. Could be a circuit issue on back to the trailer connector, or a trailer adapter problem, but check the fuse/relay first.. You can view/download a owners manual here..

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

Old 01-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Hayapower - Thanks for the welcome and your insight. I had checked to see if any of the fuses under the dash were blown and they all looked good. However, I followed up on your direction on looking at the fuses under the hood. BINGO!!!!!! The number 5 fuse was blown.[:-] Replaced the fuse and everything works fine now.

When someone like you provides a few suggestions where to start many of these faults are resolved "east peasy, nice and easy"!!!!

Thanks again, and look forward to participating on the site

Old 01-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Glad it was a simple fix...