Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Remove 8" subwoofer in the back panel - Ford Expedition 1999

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Question Remove 8" subwoofer in the back panel - Ford Expedition 1999

I am trying to replace the broken subwoofer on my 1999 Ford Expedition. Does anyone know how to remove an 8 inch subwoofer in the back next to the third row seat? I removed the screws and the speaker's cover but I could not pull the speaker out.

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 PM

Have the same probem. The speaker is mounted on from the back. To access this you first need to take off the trim, not fun but necessary. You will see three brass colored screws on the black plastic enclosure that includes the amp on top. 1 on the left side, 2 on the right. The speaker comes out with the entire speaker/amp enclosure. Be sure to unplug the speaker wires from the amp. Once you get the entire box out getting the speaker out is really easy. My issue now is finding a replacement speaker that doesn't require changing out the wiring.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 AM

I have a 1998 Expedition. First the panel right over the speaker will pop off. But this does little more than allow you to see the speaker, screws that mount around it and the plug to the rear amp. There is a bolt behind the speaker that needs to be removed also. I just did this today, so the best I recall. There are two plastic caps that are used to hold the cargo net in place. these are on the post behind the seat belt. These unscrew. With those out, you can remove the hole plastic panel from the side. This reveals the "box" that contain the speaker. There is one screw in the upper right that holds this in place. Take that out. Then pull the box out at an angel to get your socket wrench onto the bolt behind the speaker. Once you get that out, then take out the maybe 8 screws that hold the front of the speaker. Then you can pull is out, unplug it etc. and if you can find a replacement, then you can put a speaker back in. Right now, I have not found a replacement other than the dealer, which is way too much. Hope this helps.