Ford Expedition The Expedition provides the feel of a full size truck with the seating of a large SUV.

Shocks or Load Level Suspension problem

Old 05-09-2006, 01:17 AM
Default Shocks or Load Level Suspension problem

ok, i'm having a problem with my 97 eddie bauer expedition 4wd suv. the rear end of my truck one day just decided to drop. whenever i go over any bumps in the road it is bouncing for days. it looks like my shocks went out just by looking at it, but later on that day the truck went back to normal height in the back! 2 weeks later it did the same thing and later that day it went back to normal. its now low in the back again and its been 2 days and i dont think its going to come back up. the front of the truck looks normal, but the back is low to the ground. somebody was trying to tell me about some type of vacuum system that these trucks have, but i have no idea what to do. they told me that it cost $500 to fix, but i dont want to spend that kinda money and it not be the problem. if anyone has any idea what it could be or have heard of anything like this please, please let me know.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:27 AM
Default RE: Shocks or Load Level Suspension problem

I have a 00 xlt 5.4L and had the same problem back in April. I went to Pep Boys to have tires installed and the tech saw my "check suspension light" on, so he hit the switch on the passanger side (for what reason I don't know) but to make a long story short...I had to go to the Ford Dealership and found out I had air shocks w/ a crack in the line between the front to rear line and the left to right line. Fixed problem for $540...two months later the shocks dumped again in the rear, making the rear bounce really bad. Upon returning to Ford the fixed it again (for free) and said the air hoses start going bad from wear and tear and couldn't gaurantee I wouldn't have the same problem in a few months. So check for a leak in the suspension hoses. There is a conversion kit to convert to standard shocks at strutmaster.com for around $400 front and back.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 AM

This rear shock system has air shocks in it so you may have a leak in the system.[hr]If you want to find out where it is leaking and fix it your self I would get soapy water or windex in a spray bottle and spray the fitting's lines and shock's untill you see bubble's this would be your leak.[hr]Need part's visit our sponser. Arnott for lifetime parts at a reasonable price http://www.arnottindustries.com/part...tion_yid2.html

Old 09-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Hey guys, I guess the problem is most likely an air line leak then huh... I just spoke with a neighbor who has a Navigator and his rear dumped all the way down. I offered to change his shocks for him but it looks like that might not be the problem. Now here's the question if his shocks have completely dumped on him would there be anymore air in the lines to make using a spray bottle (soapy water or windex) to isolate the problem be feasible. Next question how much work is this? I offered him a hand but he looked skeptical. I have no doubt that if I came back with a good answer on what it could be he may let me earn a few $ and save himself $ in the process. Are special tools required also?

Old 03-07-2007, 01:08 PM

Check to see if their are any leaks then check the compressor that it. the best bet is the compressor is shot try ebay that have them for a really good price.

Old 03-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Definately, if the compressor is shot then there won't be any air pressure to leak out. You'll have a hard time finding the problem. Whatsmore, if the problem is just a leak and you allow it to go without fix for long, the compressor will run continuously and eventually go out too. You should be able to hear the compressor when it's on though. Don't forget the switch on the passenger side under the dash. You can turn it off, like you do for jacking. That might help - short term.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 AM

Hey guys your problem is more than likely the compressor went bad. The air lines could also have gone bad but they are not like your normal air line the have clips on the lines that ford specific. Your best bet is to jump online and buy a spring conversion kit for the rear suspension. The kit actualy converts your air suspension to spring suspension. Ive installed this conversion before on a navigator its basicly like changing out shocks once you have every thing taken apart you unbolt the airbag and put the spring in its place. it made the truck ride better and will never have suspension problems again.

http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=52

Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 PM

I have the same vehicle and the same problem. What happened was the pump relay was stuck in the "on" position, which burned out the pump. I need a replacement of a pump and relay. This will cost me 788 dollars, and the tech says that there is near 100 percent chance that something else will be wrong. I decided to just go with the conversion kit that cfoster recommended. 279 in parts (incl. shipping) and about 200-300 for labor (me not knowing much about cars) will save me lots of money and will eliminate my suspension problems. So that would be my amateur advisement.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 AM

I have a 2001 4X4 5.4L with LLS. I just replaced the rear bags and shocks, put in a new compressor/dryer and relay. I'm waiting for the Spider Jrto get here to fix that leak. My problem is, my compressor will not turn on. After replacing everything I ran a hot wire to the compressor to make sure it works and it does. I've checked the fuse under the dash as well as the fuse under the hood. Is there anything else it can be besides the actual computer?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 PM

hi did u ever find out what the problem was with your air ride cause mine is doin it now.i have power to ride height sensors to the rear silonoid to rear and have power to my compressor but wont come on.i had to run a hot wire to the rear silonoid under drivers door on frame and a hot wire to the compressor to get rear end pupmed back up then i turned the switch off and it has been holding all day but still havent figured out what the heck is my problem...thanks for your time...joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shocks or Load Level Suspension problem