Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

'06 Explorer Eddie Bauer Tranny LAG

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
Default '06 Explorer Eddie Bauer Tranny LAG

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and hope somebody has some suggestions as to how to handle this. I traded in my '03 Eddie Bauer for an '06 Eddie Bauer with a V8, and so far I'm wishing I still had my '03... I have 9k miles on the new '06 now and I can't say that I've been real happy with it right from the beginning. It started off with a major overheating at 1500 miles. It was a problem with a hose clamp that came undone or was never closed to begin with. The dealer fixed it. The second huge steam cloud/antifreeze spray everywhere overheat came 500 miles later; same problem. Dealer fixed it again. The third time it almost happened but I caught it before it overheated was the same day a service bulletin came out on the recall of the hoses and clamps. I wasn't too thrilled about 2 major overheats with such low miles. I asked the dealership for something, like an extended warranty in case I have troubles down the road related to the overheats and they did nothing but stall, drag their feet and never called me back. I got so busy with work that I never continued pursuing the issue and let it die.

I also told them from the beginning that what really drives me crazy about this brand new vehicle is that it takes so freaking long for the transmission to figure out what lowest gear to be in with quick, short or rolling stop/starts that I'm ready to drive it off a cliff!!! When I come to a quick stop or an almost complete stop but still creeping and then get on the gas pedal, it's almost like the transmission can't figure out what the heck gear to go down to. So I feel like I've stepped into a pile of you know what with the dead pedal feeling by the time it finally does decide which gear, whether it be 1st or 2nd gear, and then when it does kick in, I get the big power surge that hits. My '03 never did this. I told the dealership about this too, and they told me that there was nothing that could be done because there is no throttle cable to the new '06's and that it is just normal response time necessary for everything. I told them that is just not an acceptable answer. You mean to tell me that those computer signals aren't faster processing than the human reflexes and that my foot on the pedals react quicker than all the transmitted signals and whatever else that make the vehicle go when you want it to?? I never thought that I'd have to actually think ahead of my vehicle's response time while I'm driving, not to mention I told them that my friend Paul just bought a new Chevy truck that I drove and his truck's response time to my foot on the pedal was immediate, smooth power to the pavement!!!

Thanks in advance to any advice that anybody can provide to me.

Fin

Old 06-29-2006, 12:17 AM
Default RE: '06 Explorer Eddie Bauer Tranny LAG

That recall came out for the coolant hose clamps rusting and breaking. Ford has a similar problem with the Super Duty and the Excursion models earlier, but never recalled them.

As far as the throttle response goes, I would have to say that I drove a few 06 models and did not like to respond at all. For an electronic throttle, it sure is stupid! I got the same "searching for gear" feeling on a few that I drove at slow speeds. Maybe in the future, enough people will bitch to make Ford come out with a fix for this.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Default RE: '06 Explorer Eddie Bauer Tranny LAG

I would like to discuss my outrage against Ford Motor Company regarding their lack of concern for consumers of the above vehicle. Shortly after purchasing this vehicle (new) I immediately noticed transmission issues. The vehicle was purchased 09/06. The transmission issue is that when the vehicle is at a full stop - it lunges back into 1st gear hard. If you dont have your foot on the brake you will most certainly go into the vehicle directly in front of you. This problem was reported to Ford immediately for this problem and has been in and out of the repair shop numerous times. The latest is Im not the only consumer having this issue there are hundreds of individuals experiencing the exact same issue. My last repair bill a week ago states this and I quote "There is no immediate solution to the problem.....our engineers at Ford are well aware of the problem and are trying to come up with an effective action to resolve this issue". However what they are doing is forcing people back into their defective and unsafe vehicles while they try and solve the problem. Ford is well aware of this issue and are not doing a damn thing concerning consumers safety. They are treating us like guinea pigs while they find a solution. There are currently (documented) 19 other individuals with the exact same make and model vehicle experiencing the exact same problem as I described. These individuals are concerned about their safety as well. The link to view this is www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2006/transmission

The Ford Motor Co. has turned an automotive backside to almost every customer complaining this transmission issue, leaving them the option or repairing the truck and keeping it or dumping the vehicle on the used-truck market.
More and more Ford mechanics and technicians are siding with consumers, charging that the troubled automaker is fully aware of a major flaw in Ford transmissions causing them to lunge forward and even go out of gearwithout warning.
The mechanics complain that Ford is covering up the defect while squeezing and short-changing technicians and mechanics tasked with repairing the problem for Ford consumers

Many previous Ford modelswere also prone to lunge forward or slip out of gear while parked, so if you buy one, park it outside and leave a brick under the wheel. And never leave children, pets or disabled people alone inside -- even for a minute. ...

]I personally wish some attorney would have the ***** to take this on as a class action lawsuit against Ford. The problem is not only blatant but their lack of sympathy and compassion for a consumers safety just blows me away. I have been in touch with Ford Relations as well and honestly they are a big joke. The only thing they state is that Ford is working on a solution. I have also filed complaints with the BBB and also The National Highway Safety Association. If any other consumers are experiencing this issue and would like to contact me directly please feel free to give them my e-mail address.