Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

1997 Ford Explorer Limited with Air Ride shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Question 1997 Ford Explorer Limited with Air Ride shocks

I have a big problem, I hope someone can help. I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Limited with Air ride Suspension system and I'am unable to find the Correct or any Rear shocks air or otherwise to fit this car. The Vechicle was built in 12/1996 and over the year I have found that many of the orginal part (alternator & radiator) for the car came form a 1996 Mountineer as orginal equipment but not the rear shocks nor do they come from a ford Explorer. I rebuilt the underside of the car with Orginal ford parts including the rear air shocks, which have been modified and no longer have the electical connection. The ford rear shocks are way to big, there is only about 2 inch clarence room left before shock bottoms out. The ford dealer, who is trying very hard to get the right part is getting no where with detroit after a month, which does not surprise me since they where was unable to figure out the alternator & raditor when I had problems with them. This limited explorer sat 2 to 3 inch lower then a normal explorer when it was new and because of that regular explorer shocks that ford saids belong in there are to long. Unfortunitely orginal shock where thrown away prior to road test or should I say neck breaking test. Does anyone have orginal part # for rear shock for this type of explorer it would help me and the dealer, maybe get the right parts or does anyone know what I can replace it with, Air shock or regular shocks.

Thank in advance for your trouble
Frank S.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 AM

Don't know if you ever got the part #'s figured out..I'm a bit late...

However, if you still need the OE part numbers--I have them.