Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

4x4 light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Default 4x4 light flashing

hello all im here helping out a friend who's not so good navigating the web im re posting a question he had in the new member area so here goes

New at this: I have a 2004 ford abs light is on and appears the 4x4 light flashes eight times aprox. every two mins. Does anyone know what code this is. Thank you

Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM

To all you people who have blinking "4wd" and "4wd low" here is a little story for you.

for about 8 months now I have had the 6 blinks every minute symptom where it seems to shift into 4wd OK but after a few minutes the lights start blinking and I am not sure if it is in 4wd or not.

Well I took it to the dealer and asked for a diagnosis. after a $75 dollar charge they told me that the computer registered an "internal clutch solenoid error" and that i would need a new transfer case. The mechanic was very nice but told me it was considered a "non- serviceable item". They did very little investigating to come up with this answer.

To make a long story short, After a lot of research on my part (some on this forum). I figured out that there was a 90% chance that one of my HALL sensors had failed. I also found out that every dealer in the world knows these sensors fail. There are dozens of stories on this forum that detail this.

I bought both of them for $30.00 each. I changed the one on the rear driveshaft first. it took about 10 minutes to clip the wires to the old one. Butt splice a new sensor in. Install it and paint the connections with some liquid electrical tape. this fixed my problem immediately. I never got to install the front driveshaft sensor.

It seems like Syosset Ford is the only dealer in America that doesn't know about the HALL sensors on the 44-05 transfer case.

I also paid them $800 dollars to fix my ABS brake system. That was probably a $20.00 sensor also.

I still have the front sensor. If anyone wants it I would be happy to mail it to them.

Thanx for all the advice

Old 12-21-2012, 10:47 PM

well i guess thats a good place to start thank you for sharing the story.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Default 4 x 4 light

Wow I got the same problem.

Can you tell me where on the vehicle the sensor is located. thanks

Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Default God send...

Thanks for the suggestion I'm glad to be acquaint with people like yall!!!