Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

93 explorer transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Default 93 explorer transmission

Looking for help on finding the transmission modulator on a 93 Ford Explorer. Having problems with it!! Also, is it better to rebuild or buy new tranny?? Thanks!!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Default RE: 93 explorer transmission

if yours is anything like my 91 it should be a under the exhaust heat sheild on the passenger side of the tranny. as far as rebuild or buy a new one it just depends how much you got to spend. my brother in law worked at a very well know tranny shop and he admited to me once that when they charge for a complete rebuild alot of times they get into the tranny find the couple bad parts replace those and call it a rebuild, leaveing alot of your new parts sitting in the box at their shop for them to use on another customers car and charge them again for the parts that should have been in your car already. be warned unless you rebuild it yourself you never know what your paying for!!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:34 AM

thanks so much....my hubby is going to locate. i hope this works. thanks again!!

Old 10-05-2007, 06:28 PM

I would like to discuss my outrage against Ford Motor Company regarding their lack of concern for consumers of the above vehicle. Shortly after purchasing this vehicle (new) I immediately noticed transmission issues. The vehicle was purchased 09/06. The transmission issue is that when the vehicle is at a full stop - it lunges back into 1st gear hard. If you dont have your foot on the brake you will most certainly go into the vehicle directly in front of you. This problem was reported to Ford immediately for this problem and has been in and out of the repair shop numerous times. The latest is Im not the only consumer having this issue there are hundreds of individuals experiencing the exact same issue. My last repair bill a week ago states this and I quote "There is no immediate solution to the problem.....our engineers at Ford are well aware of the problem and are trying to come up with an effective action to resolve this issue". However what they are doing is forcing people back into their defective and unsafe vehicles while they try and solve the problem. Ford is well aware of this issue and are not doing a damn thing concerning consumers safety. They are treating us like guinea pigs while they find a solution. There are currently (documented) 19 other individuals with the exact same make and model vehicle experiencing the exact same problem as I described. These individuals are concerned about their safety as well. The link to view this is www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2006/transmission

The Ford Motor Co. has turned an automotive backside to almost every customer complaining this transmission issue, leaving them the option or repairing the truck and keeping it or dumping the vehicle on the used-truck market.
More and more Ford mechanics and technicians are siding with consumers, charging that the troubled automaker is fully aware of a major flaw in Ford transmissions causing them to lunge forward and even go out of gearwithout warning.
The mechanics complain that Ford is covering up the defect while squeezing and short-changing technicians and mechanics tasked with repairing the problem for Ford consumers

Many previous Ford modelswere also prone to lunge forward or slip out of gear while parked, so if you buy one, park it outside and leave a brick under the wheel. And never leave children, pets or disabled people alone inside -- even for a minute. ...

]I personally wish some attorney would have the ***** to take this on as a class action lawsuit against Ford. The problem is not only blatant but their lack of sympathy and compassion for a consumers safety just blows me away. I have been in touch with Ford Relations as well and honestly they are a big joke. The only thing they state is that Ford is working on a solution. I have also filed complaints with the BBB and also The National Highway Safety Association. If any other consumers are experiencing this issue and would like to contact me directly please feel free to give them my e-mail address.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:53 PM

i agree w/ 91 ford explorer, around heat shield, i just had mine replaced when they rebuilt the transmission, seemed easier.
hard to see/ hard to get to.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:22 AM

The 1993 Ford Explorer had an A4LD transmission in it. The modulator is located on the passenger side, right at the heat shield. It has a 10mm bolt holding it in place. You muist remove the heat shield, it is attached to the side of the transmission to get to it. If you are limber enough, you can get to it without removing the catalytic convertor.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM

The gentleman with the problem with the new Explorer has a 5R55E transmission in his, and that is a whole nother ball of wax.