Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

93 FORD EXPLORER ELECTRICAL PROBLEM PLEASE ANYONE WITH TRUE EXPERIENCE REPLY AND HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Default 93 FORD EXPLORER ELECTRICAL PROBLEM PLEASE ANYONE WITH TRUE EXPERIENCE REPLY AND HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

I was driving down the road and my pulley on my alternator locked up and broke my surfintine belt. I replaced the alternator, belt ,cylinoid, and battery terminals and yet the battery light still comes on when i start it up and the charge is under 8 the battery eventually runs dead and i have nothing. Please someone help so i can get on with this. email is randydostroph@yahoo.com

Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM
Default RE: 93 FORD EXPLORER ELECTRICAL PROBLEM PLEASE ANYONE WITH TRUE EXPERIENCE REPLY AND HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!

Here's a couple of suggestions...

Well, first thing you need to do is verify that the replacement alternator is actually putting out the correct voltage when the engine is running. That is normally 13.5 - 14.5vdc depending on the electrical load. If it is, the next step is to turn everything possible that will cause a load (lights, fan, A/C) to ensure that the alternator is still putting out the correct voltage. It should jump up to about 14.5vdc, then taper down a little. If that is all OK, the next place to look at is the battery. You could have a cell sulfating or the battery is just plain going south. This can cause the alternator to load down. How old is the battery? Have you checked the fluid level if equipped with removable tops? Even with the googy full plastic covers that Ford puts over the batteries, like what is on my 00 Taurus and 04 Freestar, I still remove it once a year and top the fluid level off. MAINTAINENCE FREE isn't maitainence free if it can be serviced.