Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

'99 XLT 4.0 SOHC won't crank

Old 02-24-2008, 08:52 PM
Default '99 XLT 4.0 SOHC won't crank

[sm=helpout.gif]When attempting to start my '99 XLT with 152K miles, there is one click and nothing else happens. No dimming of lights and all other electrical functions are normal. Last time I had this problem, the terminal on the trigger wire from the ignition to the on-starter solenoid had snapped. I crimped a new terminal on the wire and this solved the problem. I recently replaced the starter and had the battery and starter tested twice as well as the alternator. I have checked the relays and fuses as well as the both battery cables (0 ohms resistance) as well as the solenoid trigger wire. I am inclined to think the ignition switch could be bad but am reluctant to tear into that as it involves removing the steering wheel. I have also heard that the neutral safety switch can fail as well. Any suggestions on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Default RE: '99 XLT 4.0 SOHC won't crank

Replaced the ignition switch. Still won't start. Neutral safety switch is next.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 AM
Default RE: '99 XLT 4.0 SOHC won't crank

I would start with ensuring that you have good clean contact between the battery posts and the clamps. A poor contact surface area will cause this problem. Everything will work, but no crank. Just a click or two sometimes. Just went thru this on my 00 Taurus after having some work done on it. Found out that they disconnected my battery. When they reconnected it, I was having a no-start condition. Engine would no crack. Cleaned the battery posts and inside the clamp area real good with scotch-brite. No problems since (about 6 months). Stillcranking away withthe original battery.