Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Back Doors Won't Open from Inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Default Back Doors Won't Open from Inside

Hello,
A friend of mine has a problem with her 2000 Explorer that I have volunteered myself into trying to fix. The back doors will not open from the inside, but work fine from the outside. I have already checked that the child safety locks weren't engaged. If anyone has some advice as to what may be the problem I would really appreciate it. Also, if there is anything I need to know about removing the door panels, that would be great. I drive a Dodge, and I'm sure there are door differences.

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
Default RE: Back Doors Won't Open from Inside

The plastic clips to the inner handles probably snapped. Look for hidden screws/bolts before trying to pull a door panel off. Most companies hide them for cosmetic purposes. They put caps and covers over and put them in from the bottom of the armrest in hide them in carpet coverings and lots of other tricks. The panels themselves usually are held on with plastic clips besides the few screws.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Sent you an email..

Old 06-16-2007, 07:59 AM

can you send me the same e-mail, both of my rear doors are doing the same thing ( 1998 eddie bower)

Old 06-16-2007, 08:15 AM

Had this problem before. Its the door latch. A small peice of plastic has broken off and no way to repair. Replacing the inner door latch should fix the problem.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 AM

I have the same problem, no one can seem to open the rear doors except me. I have had this same problem with my 98 explorer also. Mine is a 2000 too

Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 PM

I have almost the same problem, the rear doors are hard to open. I have no problem with them, but others can not open the doors and I have to open them from the outside. Any solution? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Pro

I guess it is a common sickness for Explorer. Mine is 1999 & have the same problem. I can't open thetrunk door [the one halfway with the glass] from outside. Maybe someone can help. The wholetrunk door will open but not the other half.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 PM

Hey I have the same problem with my driver side door,only that it wont open from the outside but it will from the inside.would you happen to have any idea's on how I could remedy the problem?If it helps I would put the key in the dooor and it seems like its not grabbing onto the locking mechanism.If you could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.If you happen to send me anythingt my e-mail is miykael127@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
pcm

I have this problem intermittently. Doors will work fine from the inside 10 times in a row. Then they won't. So I question in my case if there is a piece of broken plastic as others are suggesting. We have wondered if it happens if the person sitting there doesn't wait for the driver to unlock the doors before yanking on the handle. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Back Doors Won't Open from Inside