Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Bolt Kit for front end alignment

Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Default Bolt Kit for front end alignment

Ever since I bought my Explorer, my mechanic has been informing me about the defect in the front end with Ford certain Fordvehicles. I go through a set of tires pretty frequently and they always wear in the same place on the inside of the tire...drivers side usually being the worst. I have had alignments done, but nothing seems to change.
Upon replacing some ball joints in the front end, for the third time, I went to a VIP auto store for an alignment. They tell me that Ford has come out with a kit to replace the bolts that hold the arms behind the tires because they had reports of bad bolts causing camber?? VIP wants me to purchase the kit and pay them $75 per tire to replace the bolts and then complete my half finished alignment. Anyone hear of this and shouldn't this be Ford's responsibility to replace defective parts?? How can it take an hour's labor to replace two bolts??
Any input would be appreciated!

Old 03-22-2008, 07:50 PM
Default RE: Bolt Kit for front end alignment

The bolts aren't defective, the ones they are trying to sell you make adjusting the alignment easier. They don't need to replace the bolts to adjust the alignment but they will need to remove them to remove the plate that Ford used to set the alignment at the factory. Here is what they are trying to sell you.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1990_63364782
The original ones don't have the offset washers, they have a solid plate so on the assembly line they canset them faster and be more consistent on the alignments, sometimes that is consistently wrong thou.If you have your alignment specs from one of the alignments, post them up.