Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Buying a 2003

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Default Buying a 2003

Ok it looks like im getting a ford certified2003 expedition Eddie baueredition this week, it has a killer 22,172 miles on it, 5.4V8 with pretty much all the options i could want.

My question is, i got the price down from $22,990 to $19,850 with warranty from the ford dealer but before i jump on it do you guys think its a fair price or can i go lower? I ca tell the guy wants it gone aftera day of call backs and talking after i saw it but i dont want to mess up the deal by pissing him off.

Another question is how many miles do you get from the 5.4V8 from a full tank city and hwydriving?
+ is there anything i can do to improve it?im a heavy VW and Audi car nut(ihave 2)so know my way arround a engine, acold air intake, chip and exhaust does the job for thembut this will be my first SUV so any help/tips would be nice.

Im looking foward to hear from you guys, and i cant wait to get my hands on this explorer. im sure my kids are going to love all the extra room.

TIA

Old 12-16-2006, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Buying a 2003

Opps.. Posted to the 'explorer' forum/threads..poststates..explorer and expedition...

Being its a 5.4 we'll run with Expedition

If you bought, or they included an extended warranty?, and if it's optioned out well then that price isn't too bad .. But, you can 'always' keep grindingsome Won't hurt their feelings.. Have you looked it over completely, from the under side as well?.. They usually tend to detail them up well, but the underside sometimes tells a different story.. My brother in law just bought a 05 6.0 and had me look at it.. I looked it over and it was 'clear' that this was a fleet trade in and had seen it share of off road service.. NICE truck though, and has been doing fine for him.. Although I did catch a bad FEAD belt that they corrected.. But if you checked it out well, and is really clean, and cared for,(anydocs) thenyou always have the option of pushing a little harder on price, or the possiblity of loosing it to another customer if you wait.. Lotta help huh!!

Mileage is always a grey area, because of vehicle load/weight, driving habits, traffic ect.. I'd say a good combined would be 14-15.. And if your gonna do some mods, maybe a little better if you can behave.. My 6.0 is putting out almost 400HP and 'most' times I drive with a light foot.. But with it programmed, I see maybe another (1) MPG increase.. So with the added ponies I don't see 'any' loss of MPG.. Which helps if you plan on moderate towing/hauling.. So, you may see less'loss' of MPG with the mods, over the standard MPG drop off running stock.. Alot of variables for MPG to concider, like altitudes, load, grades or if you live inmountainous areas ect.. And the biggie... Foot angle....

Sounds like a nice rig......Post a pic if you get'er.....

Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM
Default RE: Buying a 2003

wow i feel stupid lol. Any way, i will start a new thread in the right forum introducing my new expedition, so far i love it.

sorry for the mix up