Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Electrical Probs - Windows, Sunroof, 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Default Electrical Probs - Windows, Sunroof, 4X4

I just bought a '98 Ford Explorer - Eddie Bauer, 4X4, V6 4.0L. Everything electrical was working fine yesterday. I had to fix the back door latch, so after doing that I had all kinds of problems. The battery died while I was doing the work, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this. The windows were down yesterday, and now won't go up. The sunroof won't close. The interior lights won't go on. The 4X4 won't engauge. On the dash the 4X4 lights come on and flash for about a minute every 15 minutes or so.
With that said, it strange to me that everything else is working. Radio, mirrors, power seat, heat/cool, head lights, tail lights, ect..
I checked all the fuses 2 or 3 times. Both the panel in the truck and in the engine compartment. Now I'm lost, any ideas??? Could this be related to the security system at all???
Thanks for any info.

Old 09-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Default RE: Electrical Probs - Windows, Sunroof, 4X4

Almost sounds like something to do with a security system, is it factory installed or is it aftermarket...now that i've said that, i'm not sure that what you've mentioned happening could cause a failure like that...any other thoughts anyone?

Old 09-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

make sure that when you put the latch back in that you didn't pinch the wires and cause a short, or if there is bare wire that is touching the chasis, assuming that the back latch is electric

also if it is an aftermarket security system, look for the unit and check the fuse there. Also check the relays of the security system

Old 09-10-2005, 03:02 AM

Depending on how good you are w/ electrics..if you can't find the short in the places mentioned by techmanbd, you can see which wires come off of the circuits for the power windows ect. and if you can find the resistances that should be in that particular system...in a manual somewhere i'm sure...you can run the system on a multi-meter to see if there is a path that isn't syching and that should be your problem circuit...theoretically speaking...but then again...communism works in theory...good luck