Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

explorer 1993 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:40 AM
Default explorer 1993 questions

Why are people calling explorers "exploders"? my temp and fuel guage side by side are both inoperative??any idea how to fix fuel guage?? I turned on A/C fan on high and battery meter dropped a little, any ideas?? I knew explorers had the tire problem, but don't recall explosions,i'm gonna google it since i can't sleep anyway.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Default RE: explorer 1993 questions

my temp and fuel guage side by side are both inoperative??any idea how to fix fuel guage?? I turned on A/C fan on high and battery meter dropped a little, any ideas??temp moves just a tad upon start up.any ideas why temp,fuel guage don't work?

Old 01-07-2008, 11:49 AM

The fuel gauge is probably a bad float. The part number is COAZ9202B and costs less than ten dollars, but you have to drop the tank. The reason the amp gauge drops is because your using more amps on high and it will reflect that. The temp gauge might be a bad thermostat. Opens prematurely and the engine doesn't get into operating zone. Lee

Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM

main concern rt now is fuelguage, anyway it could be the instrument panelcluster?? can i checkit w/ a multimeter?

Old 01-07-2008, 04:57 PM

You can pull the connector on top of the tank and ground out the gauge wire and it should go to empty, with it unpluged, it goes to full. Or the other way, not sure, will have to look it up tomorrow.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:02 PM

i can't get the cluster guages out like wires are holding it.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:29 PM

The easiest way to check is to go to the tank, remove the plug off the top of it and check the system using the yellow/whitte wire. With the system unplugged it should show full, with that wire grounded, it should show empty. The correct readings are 145 ohms shows full, 22 ohms shows empty. That would be my first step, as iit is less intrusive and checks the entire system, except the sending unit. These are know to have float problems with age. I replaced the one in my 93 explorer twice before I gave it to my daughter.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 AM

how long does it take to drop the tank?easy? basically how do u drop it and get to float?

Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Make sure you don't have much gas in it. If your doing it on the ground, you might want to disconnect the driveshaft and move it out of the way, just from the diff. Put a floor jack under the tank to hold it in place. Take the bolts out of the straps and lower the tank. Just enought to gain access to the top of the tank. You really should have a brass punch to knock the locking ring loose from the tank (counterclockwise). Make sure you already have the connector disconnected. Once the ring is loose, pull the pump assembly up and out. Notice that there are two locating tabs on the flange of the sending unit for reassembly. If your not pretty handy with working on vehicles, this could be a dangerous job, as the tank can slip off the jack and damage things, like yourself. Anytime your working on a vehicle, you must take precautions. Hope this answers your questions.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM

[hr]

thanks ok i found the sensor w/ a red/white wire (1),but theres a tempguage also for the computer. what temp. is my 4.0L overheating at??? 93 explorer but engine was supposedly swapped w/ another 4.0L. are all 4.0L the same running temp?? where is the tempfor the computer?? i'mthinking bout just removing the sensor and buying a after marker temp guage and connect where the existing sensor is. does the sound good?? any con's w/ doing this?? the one wire on that sensor is not connected so that's probably why it's not working, then alli'llhave to do i guess is drop tank, replace fuel pump, sending unit and float. guessing i won't have to unhook fuel lines like the repair manuel said. the sensor that controls the temp guage does it just have one wire, which is red and white?????thanks old timer. Do u know there are two ford forums??I think I like the other better,b/c there seems to be more participation, as u can see by this post.u are the only one (hero) responding. thanks soomuch,if u need the link let me know i'll send it to u.[/align]__________________
93 ford explorer 4 door 4wd [/align]

vbrep_register("29288")

Quick Reply: explorer 1993 questions