Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Explorer will not start in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Default Explorer will not start in cold weather

i have a 99 explorer that has 1/4 tank of gas and the car started then stalled after about a quater of a mile. it is very very cold here in michigan but this is the first time it has stalled. is it possible i need more gas to prevent freeze up? i tried 2 containers of dry gas and that didnt seem to help any. we tried jumping it and it turns over but it wont start completly. Any suggestions would be very helpful

thanks

Old 01-17-2005, 05:03 AM
Default RE: Explorer will not start in cold weather

How long has it been since you changed your fuel filter you could have a problem there. Also I wouldn't let it get below a 1/2 tank,it could draw moisture also with the pump being in the tank the fuel helps kee it cool.First I'd have someone help me check the fuel pump to make sure it's working. You can do that buy simply having somebody turn the key to the run position while you stand at or get under the rear of it, if you hear a whine chances are its working but listen close it'll only last a couple of seconds.

Old 01-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Default RE: Explorer will not start in cold weather

I have heard of this in other vehicles (Chevy's and Dodge's) that the manufacture has moved the fuel pump from the bottom of the tank, to the top. Now that they are mounted at the top of the inside of the tank they need a pick-up tube, to go down to the bottom of the tank. These pick-up tubes have become brittel and start sucking air before the tank is completely emty. This might be what your seeing. Add more gas up to +1/2 of full. If the problem goes alway then this is probable your problem. If not, it just might be that the fuel punp has gone out. Changeing the fuel filter is always a good idea. Troubleshoot the problem before replacing anything.