Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Help.....won't start....

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Default Help.....won't start....

Need help. I went to start my 1997 Explorer on Saturday morning. The engine turned over and then just died. Tried to restart and will not even try to turn over. I tried to jump it off but nothing. The lights and everything seem to work fine. I do hear a single click coming from the drivers side when I try to start it. Have never had any problems before. Could this be the starter? I have never had a starter just go bad all at once before. Or could be it be something different like a seleniod or something? Please help. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Default RE: Help.....won't start....

The simple solution would be a dead or dying battery.

Failing that, it may be a bad connection between the battery and battery cables.Have you tried cleaning the battery posts and the cable connections? Sometimes they can be corroded and will allow just enough power to run the electrics (Lights etc) but not enough juice to crank or keep an engine running. This would also result in the clicking sound that the starter makes. Take the cables off the battery posts and clean them with a wire brush. When clean, spray the posts andcable endswith WD-40 to coat and protect them and then reattach and tighten. That should work.

If that doesn't work, look to the starter.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:22 AM
Default RE: Help.....won't start....

The click you hear is the starter solenoid. that one controls the small one located on the starter. check down on the starter and see if the small wire is still on the stater solenoid. you may also check there for power after you turn the key to the start position. if it is getting power than your starter may be bad.