Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Intermediat shaft bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 07:35 PM
Default Intermediat shaft bearings

Hi Folks. I am new to this forum & looking for some advice on a 1998 Ford Explorer. I bought the explorer V6 SOHC 4.0 from my neighbour cheap great body & interier diffs & transmission are good, but the motor had almost died. I have striped the motor down & it lookes like it has run very low on oil, the problem is that the intermediate shaft the one that drives the camshafts from either end has spun the bearings in the block, It does not look as if it has done much damage as I can still see the machine marks from the manufacture of the block & feel the machine marks with my finger nail. I am wondering if there has been a modification to these bearings as it seems it is a problem with these motors,I have spoken to a engine machine shop in launceston who said it would be cheaper to get a second hand block, but if there is a fix I would rather use the block I have. Hoping someone out there might know what I am talking about & be able to give me the right advice on this one. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:45 AM

Unfortunately no modification is going to help an oil starved engine.If it's in such good condition, you might want to investigate a remanfactured engine. You will get a warranty and they ususually will have any updates which are applicable. Cost shouldn't be too bad considering you are doing the work yourself.