Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

lowering a 99 explorer sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Default lowering a 99 explorer sport

will lowering my explorer give me a smoother ride???? cuz right now i feel everything on the road every little bump .................. one more thing what do u recomend for lowering my explorer whats the best??? thankx

Old 08-15-2005, 01:27 PM
Default RE: lowering a 99 explorer sport

I don't do those type of mods, but a friend of mine does. He likes the air ride systems. We where talking a little about it this weekend. He said the more $$$ you send the better the system and ride. Good luck

Old 08-16-2005, 02:00 AM

Mo money makes every thang better hence ==== Mo better than good

Old 08-16-2005, 02:11 AM

Normally , a good set of gas shocks , an a set of GOOD tires go a long ways in the way the vechile handles an feels an rides,, You put on a set of 30,000 mile tires made by Joe No Name, An you will have the worst riding vechile you ever rode in.,, Where as you put on a set of 60-80,000 mile Name Brand tires an you all most will think your in a Caddy ., Also you gotta remember you riding around in a vechile that has a utility chassis, so it will never float down the road.------- theres a old saying the only shock absorber in a Ford is the passenger riding in it .

Old 08-16-2005, 03:33 PM

"the only shock absorber in a Ford is the passenger riding in it"

Now thats messed-up[&:]

Yea, I'll have to agree, shock and tires make all the differents. Guess I should have said, I don't think any mod is going to make it ride better then stock. Thats one reason I really don't do those type of mods. Thats the just for looks THINGY

Old 08-16-2005, 05:06 PM

Yea : them darn " THINGY'S "[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 08-16-2005, 09:21 PM

Yea, looks like your smilley THINGY is getting motavated []

Old 08-19-2005, 07:00 PM

"the only shock absorber in a Ford is the passenger riding in it" i guess lowring my explorer will only be for the looks then ------------------- thanks for all ur coments

Old 08-19-2005, 09:53 PM

FLaCO, I feel no DIS was directed at you or your vechile , We both gave you good solid advice, New high quality tires an Shocks make a big diff in ride. ,, On the other side of the coin, if you got a lot of MONEY then an good quality air ride system , Might be for YOU. An you got our opinion on lowering.
Futher along in the tread we were joking with each other. A breif History lesson on the commet " the only shock absorber in a Ford is the passenger riding in it " Goes way back -- Chevy started putting " WISH BONE " style front ends in their truck, Which gave the truck a soft ride similar to a car. Where as Ford stayed with the well know "TWIN I BEAM " which was a very Harsh ride , they liked to call it FIRM, Trucks were still utilty work vechiles then, An it was a popular dig from a Chevy Guy , , About the only Shock in A Ford-- Referring to the bouncing Harsh ride

Old 08-19-2005, 11:09 PM

Thats right no DIS!
good history lession, but I liked the twin I-beam. You can't get a Ranger to bottom out.
Went fishing once back behind this refinery. You have to drive slow because the dirt road is very very very poted. Will this day it was wet and slippery. I didn't want to let off the gas and get stuck. So we were jumping into the air, coming off the seat, then back down, stumping on the gas, back into the air, head hitting the roof. All we could see was sky, ground, sky, OUCH ground, gas, sky OUCH ground. One heck of the ride but we got there, I'm convinced no other little stock truck could have taken a beating and kept on ticking. (remember that one?)

Quick Reply: lowering a 99 explorer sport