Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Question on brake pad wear.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Default Question on brake pad wear.

I'm posting this here because when I went to the wheel and tire section, there wern't any posts in a month, looks like it doesn't get much posting or viewing.
I just replaced the front pads and rotors on my '05 explorer XLT 4x4 with 40K miles.
Just wondering if the pads on the inside, wear any faster than on the outside?
The inside pads on both sides were almost to the point of metal to metal, while the outsides still had 3/32" to an 1/8" pad thickness left, thanks.
B.B.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 AM

It's possible to wear that way. Especially when the pads are worn that far down. Did you check to ensure that your slider pins rotated and slid in and out easily? Did you clean and apply a light coating of heat resistant grease on them before reassembling your brakes? I always use "Permatex Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Lubricant (Item #24125)" on all brake jobs I do. If the sliders sieze up you can get "One-Sided" or uneven brake wear. I inspect my brakes twice a year (Spring & Fall).

Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 AM

Thanks for responding so quickly, Use Common Sense, yes, I sprayed brake cleaner in the sliderpin cavity to clear out the old grease, pulled the rubber boots and wiped them out also, recoated everthing with NAPA high temp grease and reassembled them.
On the driver side inner pad, the wear was the worst and it looked like the pad hadn't been making contact with the rotor for sometime as the rotor surface was quite rusty and dirty.
B.B.

Last edited by 05whitebarge; 02-10-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Good job, that's the way it should be done. I've seen so many "CAN YOU CHECK MY BRAKES?", only to find that somebody just slapped on a new set of pads and did absolutely nothing else. Then wonder why they have problems.

Anyways, the only time I've seen rust on one or more sides of a rotor was due to the caliper being "Hung" up and not operating. Most notably the rears. It's possible that the caliper reached it's full travel and could not extend any farther while the outer pad still maintains surface contact.

But then again, I just did a brake job and never seen a caliper extend as far as this one was. Pins were siezed and the caliper was pushed out to the point that it completely wore the inside half of the rotor off including 3/4's of the cooling fins. One has to wonder how anybody could drive a vehicle that long and not notice the "STEEL on STEEL" grinding and the rust all over the side of their vehicle (White by the way). At that point, the backing plate was gone and the caliper piston was actually making the surface contact. Go figure...