Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Suddenly hard to steer

Old 11-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Default Suddenly hard to steer

I have a '96 6-cyl explorer, 4WD, auto with 152kmi. In the last week or so the steering wheel has become very hard to turn at times and will not necessarily recenter after a turn. I suspect that the power steering pump is dying. So far I've only had a chance to top up the fluid level. This weekend I'm going to check the hoses and disconnect the tie rods so that I can check each wheel and the steering mechanism independently.
Is there anything else I should check to isolate the problem?
Does anyone happen to know if the power steering pump from a '98 will fit a '96?

Thanks
Paul.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Default RE: Suddenly hard to steer

Check the lower steering control shaft. There is a rubber boot at the joint. If it is cut, the joint may be rusted therefore binding. Spray some rust penetrant into the joint close to the steering gear, work the steering wheel lock to lockrepeatedlyto see if that helps. If that is the problem, you will need to replace the part. It is a dealer only item. I found it online for about $160.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:12 AM
Default RE: Suddenly hard to steer

Yep, like GBASPLEN said, I would try there. I had the same issue with my 04 Freestar. Drove fine on a Friday and then Monday mornig the steering was real tight like a bad pump. The Freestar has anexposed U-Joint on the steering shaft right above the rack. It was stiffening up. Sprayed some PB Blaster on it and the steering wheel responds like new. I just jap it every month with a shot to keep it lubed.