Ford Explorer This long running SUV has stood tough against the barrage of new entries into the mid sized SUV market, and with a variety of engine sizes and trim lines, the Exploder offers something for everyone.

Throttle sticks on air cleaner tube!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Default Throttle sticks on air cleaner tube!

Granted that my problem is on an older vehicle (1991 Explorer) but I only recently figured out the problem and it may apply to newer ones also.

On a couple of occasions, I floored the accelerator pedal to engage passing gear and the pedal stuck to the floor, almost causing me to lose control. I shut off the ignition and used brakes with no power assist.

Most recently I duplicated the problem with engine off and found the problem to be the throttle lever getting stuck on the air cleaner return tube. (See attached image)

I've searched some forums and see many posts about the throttle sticking for a variety of reasons, but I haven't seen this cause described. I called a local Ford dealer but was told that since there's no recall, I'll have to pay for a diagnosis and repair. It seems to me this is clearly a design fault, as nothing's damaged and it has nothing to do with lack of maintenance.

Has anybody else out there experienced this?

Many thanks!

Carl - Dallas TX

Attached Thumbnails Throttle sticks on air cleaner tube!-throttle_open.jpg  
Old 04-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Where is the cover for the throttle cable that was on it from the factory? The very reason that ford put one on there.