Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$40,000 shudder

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Angry $40,000 shudder

I've got a '12 FX4 SC 6.5' box w/ecoboost. I LOVED this truck, replaced same model '07. BUT, at around 1K miles, I began to get a tranny-drive shaft shudder passing through ~1500 rpm. 4xdealers, 6-service trips and 2xFord service escalation, I have my answer: early run 2012 trucks have a frame issue causing the vibe. Ford fixed the problem in the manufacturer process, but no fix yet for current owners with the problem. EVERY tech has identified the problem, but Ford corp refuses to help.

Anyone else out there experience this? I HATE driving the truck now, especially in traffic and so far Ford's response has been "its normal for that configuration"...

Old 06-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..

I had a 03 S/D 6.0 that had the 'turbo drone' that was horrible. It didn 't develop till it had a few K on it. It was like someone had a huge tuning fork against the drivers floorboard, and you could literally feel the vibs resonating up through the floor and into your feet and ankle bones.

First Ford came out with a re-alighment preceedure for the exhaust pipes which involved losseneing everything up and 'settling' the pipes in. Some had success, mine, not so much improved. Finally,, after all the complaints, (and almost a year for a release) Ford Engineering had a fix and got it under control. The fix was an 'A' brace for the turbo. I was atually working on a brace of my own, but they beat me to it..

I'll look and see if there are any SSM's/TSB's for the concern. If there are enough instances and complaints, be assured, engineering is aware and may already be working on a fix,, or at least looking into it. No matter what 'normal' is, if it's an uncomfortable experience to drive, their aware..

Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Someone might have already hit on this, but I think I remember seeing a few tsb's about these thing shuddering; they were related to the good old slip yoke bump on takeoff (which Ford has had since about 1930) to rear axle clutch shudders; note: I've seen a LOT of problems with the rear ends on these, and the new clutches will fool you. They can create this problem even in a straight driving situation, which is NOT the classic way to diag. these! Check it out.