Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 F150 I6 Electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Default 94 F150 I6 Electrical issue

Gonna try here one last time before I call the shop.

I've got a 94 F150 I6 Manual 2wdand suddenly after changing the battery cables, I have no electrical what so ever. I changed the solenoid, check all the connection points on the new battery cables, battery is new, changed out the ignition switch and have had the alternator and started checked. I'm now out of ideas and being new to this area can't call a friend to come look.

How it happened:

After changing the battery out due to the old one going bad, I then new I was going to need new cables (cut the cover back about 10 inches from the terminal and still saw corrosion). I didn't replace them right away after finding out the price on OEM replacements and about a month later start up started getting a little sluggish. It got worse over the next 2 weeks and finally one day my battery was dead soI checked the alternator and it was fine so I went ahead and replaced the cables. Everything before I replaced them was running fine, but after I got them back on and tried to start it back up I had no electrical what so ever, not even headlights. After a few suggestions on replacing cheap parts I now have a new ignition switch (old one was shot anyways, could turn the guard around w/o the key and start it with anything resembeling a key) and replaced the solenoid.

Right now as it sits, I can jump the solenoid and get power while in the accessory and run positions (and headlights all the time), but when I turn it over to start I lose all electrical again.

I'm now lost for ideas and soon going to get it towed to the shop.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Default RE: 94 F150 I6 Electrical issue

Your going to need a tester or volt meter. Do your instruments power on when you turn the key to on? If so then you are getting power through your ignition at least on one of the contacts. If not check fuses and battery power to fuse block.

what are you jumping on the solenoid to start and will it run after you jump it. There should be 4 cables on the starter relay 2 large wires and 2 small wires. one large from battey one large to starter. the two small wires are are the coil wires from the ignition. If the relay is bad then you will get 12v to the coil, but it will not close the contact between the larger cables. If you can jump 12v from the battery cable to the coil and it closes and the starter engages the relay is good. If you hear the relay close but starter does not turn check starter and battery.

hope this helps