Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 F150 shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Default 94 F150 shifting issues

I have a 94 F150 with a 5 speed overdrive manual transmission and i've been having trouble lately getting it back into first gear after stopping. I can get it to go into first if I force it into fourth or another gear while pushing the clutch in and then putting it in first without letting the clutch back out, but if I do let it out i have to do it all over again. Also when im having this problem it is difficult to upshift and i have to ram the shifter into gears. What's going on? The fluid has been changed several times and the clutch feels great

Old 01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Default RE: 94 F150 shifting issues

Sounds like the synchronizer gear(s) are worn out. Might need to open the box and do a rebuild.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Default RE: 94 F150 shifting issues

I was thinking it sounded like a throwout bearing maybe? It feels like I haven't pushed the clutch in all the way and tried to put it in gear. If it was just one gear that was difficult to go into I might think a gear, but its all the gears when it acts up not just one. I can kind of feel the diff trying to turn or the driveshaft when it does it too.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:14 PM

Hello,

It sounds like you have a slve cylinder issue or the master cylinder for the slave cylinder, under the hood where you put the fluid in. This is very common for one or both to go bad. The slave cylinder is in the bell housing so you will have to pull the trans to fix it, it also has the throwout bearing in it. It's like a combo. When you do replace them they are very hard to bleed and get all the air out. Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM

One of the other techs at my work said it could be the pressure plate hanging up or the pinion bearing could be worn. The pressure plate and pinion bearing theory i can understand because if the engine rear main seal which is leaking gets oil on the plate it sounds possible it could hang up, also if the bearing was worn i think the same could happen. If it was a slave cylinder why would it be so intermittent? also if I 'downshift' by just running it through the lower gears in sequence while slowing down I never have any issues getting it into first, but I have to hold the clutch in while stopped

Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
Default No Easy Answer

The best way to tackle this is to do a complete clutch job and replace the slave and master cylinders as well. That takes all the guessing out of it. Ford manuel transmissions are practically indistructable. Doing this will ensure that you don't have a problem again for a long time.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Something is leading me to think its not the slave cylinder because if it was in theory i would be able to pump it up and make it engage, but i am not sure. If the pressure plate was warped it could also do make it hang up. Replacing all the related clutch parts is sounding like the route to go.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Cool Replacing Everything

Here's the deal. IF you have a slave or master cylinder issue, even if you replace the blown cylinder, there is a 95% probability that within a short amount of time the one you did not replace will blow too. It's called wear-and-tear, and path of least resistance. I have done these many times and I have always had to replace both cylinders within a short amount of time.

As far as the clutch is concerned: The idea is that you will have everything apart because you have to drop your tranny. Any mechanic will tell you to replace everything then so you don't have to go back and do it again later. That's just common sense and it will save you bigger money in the end or possible tranny damage.

You can go fast and cheap and risk bigger problems or you can do it the right way and fix it properly. Your Call. Good Luck.

PS: Don't forget to get your flywheel turned and your pilot bearing replaced.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Default More

You usually can't pump up a cylinder when the seals are blown. All you do is empty the masters fluid reserve. Once it's blown, it's blown.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:55 PM

The only thing that really wears out on the pressure plate is the shock absorbing springs, in some cases you can hear them rattle when they do. If it was a week pressure plate, it would do it all the time. The pinion theory I'm a little confused on, because the only pinion you have is in the rear end. You have an input shaft bearing, but when they go you hear them with the clutch released in neutral. Trust me on this when I tell you it's a slave cylinder or master cylinder issue, we have done a bunch of them. Like diverdown2 said, replace everything at one time and be done with it, it's the best route. Also, while you have the tranny out, on the back of the shifter top you will see 3 rubber plugs. Take a screw driver and pop them out, clean them up and put some RTV around them and push them back in. The is where these units always leak and run the tranny low on fluid. If yours has little freeze plugs there instead of rubber plugs, don't worry about it, you are good to go.

Quick Reply: 94 F150 shifting issues