Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 4.2 w/ water in #2 cylinder,& good compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Default 98 4.2 w/ water in #2 cylinder,& good compression

Okay I need some help here. I have a 98 F-150, 4.2, with 5-speed. Geting water in the #2 cylinder only. Intake gaskets looked fine, and the #2 has 130lbs of compression. All cylinders have between 113-131lbs of compression. Where else can this water be coming from, cracked head, cracked water jacket in the lower intake, I just don't know what to check next. I am assuming that if I have good compression that the cylinder wall , and the head gasket is fine. I really need to get this truck back on the road, It's what I work out of, and for the last week it has been down( also had a death in the family therefore missed some time working on my truck), and I really need to get back to work.
Please help!! I am stuck at this point, and I just can't afford to take it to the dealer or another shop.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Default RE: 98 4.2 w/ water in #2 cylinder,& good compression

MORE THAN LIKELY THE HEAD GASKET VERY SELDOM GET A CRACKED HEAD UNLESS IT WAS OVERHEATED OR FROZE UP

Old 11-18-2007, 12:40 PM

Wasn't overheated, or froze up, had to start putting water in it about 2 months ago, and when I started it it would run rough for the first 30 seconds.On the 8th of this month I added some antifreeze, and the next day I drove it all day, parked it for about 45 minutes. When I got back in and started it up it ran really bad for about the first 3 min., then cleared up. took it home to drop off my trailer, parked it for 1 hour, and when I went to start it to take it back to my shop it hydro-locked, towed it to the shop the next day and pulled the plugs on 1-3 turned it over and it spewed quite a bit of water from the #2 and tried to fire off form the plugs still in on 3-6. ran a comp. test on all 6 cylinders and the #2 had the 2nd best comp. Now if it had a bad head gasket, and was filling up with water that fast when there was pressure on the coolant system, how would I still be getting good compression ?

Old 11-18-2007, 04:41 PM

WHEN U TURN UR ENGINE OFF THERE IS PRESSURE IN THE COOLING SYSTEM THIS PRESSURE WILL FORCE COOLANT INTO THE CYLINDER WITH A BAD HEAD GASKET OR A CRACKED HEAD EITHER EITHER WAY U HAVE TO PULL THE HEAD OFF BUT CRANK UR ENGINE UP WITH THE COOLING SYSTEM FULL AND PULL THE RADIATOR CAP OFF WITH ENGINE RUNNING IF BAD HEAD GASKET OR CRACKED HEAD U WILL SEE IT BUBBLING BACK THROUGH RADIATOR IF U R STILL NOT SATIS FIED LEAVE RADIATOR CAP OFF STOP ENGINE AMD LET IT SET OVERNIGHT WITHOUT ANY PRESSURE IN COOLING SYSTEM AND SEE IF IT GETS WATER IN CYLINDER THAT WAY

Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM

Pulled the head this evening, the back 4 bolts were really tight, had to use a cheater bar to get them broke loose, unlike the front 4, those broke loose pretty easy with a 1/2" drive ratchet. Could that be a sign that the head could be warped ? I didn't have a straight edge and a set of feeler gauges to check it with. I didn't really see anywhere where it looked like the head gasket was blown, but when I pulled the head off before, I could set it down and turn back around my buddy reached down and snatched the gasket off of the block and I can't tell if he caused to seperate when he pulled up on one side or if it was already like that, even though, I stiil don't see where it had any black discoloration like it had exhaust gases passing by. So I am not sure, think I will take the head to the machine shop tommorrow to have them check it to see of it is warped, and needs to be resurfaced.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:33 PM

ALSO HAVE THEM CHECK FOR CRACKS WHILE IT IS OFF BUT I HAVE A FEELING ITS HEAD GASKET GOOD LUCK

Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the help, and believe me I need some good luck right about now !

Old 11-19-2007, 09:57 AM

Make sure you replace the intake gaskets, have seen some that look ok, but leak coolant into intake.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Dropped the head off today, just have to order new gaskets and head bolts, I'll have to check out www.discountedgenuinefordparts.com
NAPA wants $265 for the head gsket set, Advance was even worse $323, ouch. Thats gonna take away from the kids stocking money! I really appreciate everyones help !!!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM

According to the catalog, gasket kit is 154.88. Head bolts give two options though. 132mm long bolts are 4.08 each. 81mm short bolts are 2.01 each. Would need to know which ones to order.These are actual FORD parts from the dealer.

Quick Reply: 98 4.2 w/ water in #2 cylinder,& good compression