Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery/Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:10 PM
Default Battery/Alternator

I have a 1998 Ford F-150 XL 4.2. Ive recently just had the Transmission replaced along with the compressor and accumulator. Immediately after the A/C attatchments, my new battery begins to die out fairly quick and causing the entire vehicle to shut down. I immediately thought, alternator, and it was. After i replaced the alternator i am still having this problem. Could it be something to do with the installation of the A/C that has caused my trouble. Broken Fuses? Or bad cable connections? I need help, and im sick of taking out loans to repair this beast. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Default RE: Battery/Alternator

Well...if anyone was wondering, after many hours of staring, and many dollars spent on parts and stuff. The alternator turned out to be fine, but the alternator cable that is suppose to plug into the Power Fuse box happened to be hidden underneath the intake manifold. After plugging back in, the truck is officially working. However....i do have other questions that are un answered.

1. Low RPM Clicking. Only when i apply gas. As i apply the gas, the sound is on up until i really get into it then the sound disappears with higher rpm. The sound is louder all of the sudden when the gears shift and the is normal when the shift is complete.
(Transmission was just rebuilt(auto transmission)) Could this be the fuel injection system? Power steering pump on the Serpentine belt(i don't know...its the only thing i haven't replaced on that belt besides the idler pulley and crankshaft) Or something else? Its not affecting the major operation of the vehicle, its just kinda annoying and could turn into a major problem.

2. How would i perform a tune up DIY style?

Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

How loud is the clicking??

Old 11-23-2006, 12:11 AM

Audible over exaust pipes and Passenger Conversation. Ive had the noise since ive had the truck which is about four years.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:58 PM

Could this be the water pump seizing?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:06 AM

Can ou tell where the clicking is coming from (i.e. front, left, right, dash, etc.)?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:04 PM

Front Center. I thought it could be the Crankshaft pulley or the Water Pump. Not sure how true these statements are, seeing that i need to be in gear moving to hear it.

Old 11-28-2006, 04:55 PM

Is it possible that your speedometer is making the noise? I'm not sure how the newer ones work, but sometimes the older ones would click when they were wearing out. This usually isn't so loud you can't hear over it, though.

Put it in neutral while moving sometime and see if it still does it...

Old 11-28-2006, 10:53 PM

Neutral does not cause this noise while rolling.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:06 AM

If you have the truck in drive, apply the brake ad rev the engine. See if it does it then.

No need to do a brake stand, just rev it a few times.[sm=burnout.gif]

Quick Reply: Battery/Alternator