Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burnt 4 L of oil!!! is that possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:13 PM
Default burnt 4 L of oil!!! is that possible?

Hey, sorry for another post so soon.. i just tok my truck in for a oil change ... ( i change every 4500 KM so if anything, im being to good to me engine) Any way, i changed the oil but to my surprise... it was dry.. no oil was reeding on the dipstick at all.. i couldint bealeve it. So i quickly checked for leaks but there was no sign of any leaks anywear, not to mention my driveway is even cleaner. so i filled up the oil and it took 4 L exactly, my truck only hold 4.2 L so im a little scared now. The only thing i can think of is the fact that its been -35 for the last month and there is also the fact that i have been hauling about 1200 pounds of building material for the duration of the 4500 km i put on. is this normal or should i consider selling my poor baby? i also might add that im running a 1997V6 4.2 5spd with 170000k. well.. i await the bad or good news....

once again... sorry for the 3 posts in the last 2 days..

Danial

Old 02-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Default RE: burnt 4 L of oil!!! is that possible?

Hello Dan I had the same problem , I had the oil pan removed by my Mechanic and he found a bunch of drywall screws in the bottom of the oilpan. He said he's seen that beforewhenFORD'swere parked beside GMC 's on construction sites. I had no idea how those drywall screws got in the bottom of myoil pan but when I stopped parking near construction sites the oil loss stopped. When I look at your post and judging by the weight your hauling, you probably don't have any springs left on that truck and you're a long distance hauler so the construction site thing doesn't make much sense. I've heard of this happening before in that instance and changing the PCV valve which is probably dirty and in extremely cold weather freezes, should solve the problem . If none of that works, try hairdressing or stenographer or something like that so you don't have to park near those construction sites any more. Good luck Dan

Old 02-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Super Moderator

Oil Capacity

With Oil Filter L (qt)
6.1-6.6 (6.5-7)

Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 AM

I have unfortunately dealt with jealous Chevy drivers myself over the years. Yes - they know how to unlatch your hood and drop srews in your valve covers. They are just plain idiots. To the question though - if the engine has high miles it could be pushing oil out the exhaust pipe. Rub your finger in the end of the tailpipe and if you got oil or very heavy oil residue on your finger you've probably got a bad motor. By the way - 4.2 Liters means that is it's nwer-style "horsepower" rating - not how much oil it holds. Most engines are safe with 5 quarts. Did you check for oil in the radiator -(bad head gasket)?