Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Gap Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 04:29 PM
Question Door Gap Adjustment?

Hey Guys,
I messed up "fixing" the cab corner on my old 1987 F150.

I rebuilt the cab corner and welded in the patch panel.
But I seem to have gotten the fit about 1/8 of an in off...

Now that I just finished the new paint job and all the body work, I just put the door back on to find this...
https://i.imgur.com/kr3XeYE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/FGCA9vl.jpg

I am hoping against hope that there is some magical technique to be able to move the bottom hinge 1/8" forward so that my door can close properly.
There is no way I am starting that cab corner again... so what are my options?

thanks,

Old 05-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Looking at your pics, the door gap gets progressively tighter from top to bottom, top gap being slightly large/wide, so the lower hinge needs to be moved forward ( as long it’s adjustment doesn't then crowd the top forward gap)
If the lower hinge reaches its adjust limits and the vert top/side gap is still wide, adjust the top hinge backwards closing in the gap and it will in turn widen the lower a bit. It may take a combo of both hinges, and if crowding the door in the upper/lower gaps, some vertical movement may be needed so there’s no pinch points.

Hinges are/were checked and no play?
If the door/s drop when opened, or can be lifted up/down at the rear of the door, check the hinge pins/bushings for wear. If worn excessive, hinge adjustment becomes a problem, and/ or may not be able to fully adjust the door.
Are the fenders off?

If horizontal-forward adjustment is maxed out due to patch/cab work, , the hinge body bolt holes can be elongated a bit to add a tad more room. But as a last resort...

Old 05-09-2018, 10:48 AM

Hi Hayapower,

Thanks for the reply! your comments give me hope!
I dont see any way to adjust the hinges at all.
do you have a diagram or picture that could help point me in the right direction?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Looking at the hinge body, where it extends into the cowl/fender, each hinge should have 3 bolts attaching them. But straight off, make sure all the pins and bushings are tight, if not, the door will sage and depending on which hinge, can change normal gaps.....