Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-150 Essex v6 knocking sound HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Default F-150 Essex v6 knocking sound HELP!

Hi, I bought a 1997 F-150 about 3 months ago off a friend of mine. It has a rebuilt engine in it with less than 5000klm on it. When I bought the truck I was told to put 10w30 in instead of 5w30 (I'm guessing to cover up an underlying problem). I had the oil changed the other day and put 5w30 in instead of the suggested 10w30. About 5klm after I started hearing a knocking noise from the right side of the engine and have significantly reduced power. I am almost positive one of the cylinders is not firing. I drove it around town a bit to see if the problem would correct itself and the check engine light came on and than started flashing but I reset it in a feeble attempt to solve the problem (I was 75klm away from home and had to get back) So I cant hook up a diagnostic computer until it comes back on. If anyone has ANY ideas or suggestions they would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 AM

Some friend.
There is an additive you can add to the oil that is supposed to help with knocking and such. I can't think of what it's called, but you can get it at any automotive store. It's a thick oil like liquid (might be called compression booster). This of coarse is only a bandaid for a larger issue.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Old 09-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Usually the light will come on right away when the computer sees the problem. You could try reading the codes. Maybe they were stored through the battery disconnect, but I doubt it.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 AM

I would still try to pull codes. Some codes are "HARD CODED" and will not reset by disconnecting the battery. The "HARD CODED" codes can only be cleared with a scanner, so something may still be there.

As far at the engine being "REBUILT"...Yep, know where you're coming from as my version or "REBUILDING" is far different than somebody elses. I always say..."If there are two pieces assembled together, they get un-assembled"

Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 PM

So I took it down to Mr Lube (they will scan the EBD for free and the only one I know with an EBD scanner is out of town) but it came up with nothing and of course they don't know how to do anything but a simple scan. So I got fed up and took it in for a diagnose and it turns out it was the coil pack. I didnt check for a spark because the guy at Mr Lube did for me, said it was good and I was stupid enough to bileve him (First and LAST time I get somone els to change my oil). I swaped out the coil pack and she runs the same as she used to. It turns out the knocking noise is a crankshaft bearing that was acting up because the piston wasnt firing, that explains the 10w30. I had a bit of a felling it was a crankshaft bearing but I was told they were replaced so I ruled that out. Now I'm thinking the "rebuild" was just a engine swap. So, I think when I get back from vacation I will pull the engine replace bearings, pistonrings, personly inspect and replace anything that has to go but I dont love her enough for a full rebuild. Thanks for all the advice its greatly appreciated.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 AM

When you got it apart for new rings, don't forget to run a hone thru the cylinders to "DEGLAZE" the cylinder walls so that you get a good seating of the new rings. This will also show any "OUT-OF-ROUND" spots in the cylinders.