Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners

Ford Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Ford Owners (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/)
-   Ford F-150 (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/)
-   -   Front axial noise (https://www.fordforum.com/forum/ford-f-150-14/front-axial-noise-44970/)

bala08 01-18-2022 06:43 AM

Front axial noise

I have a 2016 f150 FX4 with 38k miles and just as I roll to a stop or roll at 5 mph there is a rotating sound coming from the front axial. Ford did replace both left and right wheel assembly, but still makes the rotating sound. Any ideas what this could be?

hanky 01-18-2022 07:16 AM

There are a lot of things up front.
Can you be more specific, like is the noise louder on one side than the other ?
Do you get it when 4 wheel drive is engaged and hubs locked or only unlocked?
Does applying the brakes change the sound any?
The more info you can provide the better.

bala08 01-18-2022 07:46 AM

The sound is coming from the front drivers side only as I am slowing down to stop at a traffic light or cruising through a parking lot at 5 or 10 mph. Appling the brakes does not change the sound, I even replaced the brakes to try an eliminate the noise but no change. As far as I can tell I only hear it in 2 wheel drive. I hear it just as I am about to come to a stop. It's a rotating or warping or out of balance sound. I still have the Ford warranty and have brought it to Ford several times but they ca not narrow down the noise.

hanky 01-18-2022 06:06 PM

To the best of your knowledge, has anyone considered switching the front wheel with the rear wheel?

raski 01-19-2022 03:42 AM

Maybe a wheel bearing or the joint itself. I highly doubt a tire will make noise at 5 MPH. An issue with the brakes could do that but you stated they are new. If your dealer's service dept. is not skilled enough to locate the noise, it's time to seek out another dealer who won't throw their hands up and give up.

bala08 01-19-2022 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by raski (Post 128990)
Maybe a wheel bearing or the joint itself. I highly doubt a tire will make noise at 5 MPH. An issue with the brakes could do that but you stated they are new. If your dealer's service dept. is not skilled enough to locate the noise, it's time to seek out another dealer who won't throw their hands up and give up.

Thank you!

bala08 01-19-2022 06:57 AM

I have rotated the wheels and tires.

hanky 01-19-2022 06:59 AM

The reason I asked about the wheel is because people hit things and either don't recall or don't care to mention these things.

I have seen where a rim was flexing and driving the people nuts
I have even seen where lug nuts were loose and completely missed.

Tires do not make any kind of noise a very low speeds, pretty sure we all know that.

williewonka 04-16-2022 08:26 AM

I've had the same problem with two different fords trucks that I have owned. I'm dealing with one right now. The local ford dealer just replaced A front wheel bearing last week. The noise is still there. My 2017 had the same problem and Ford greased the front hubs to take care of the issue. I'm taking my truck in Monday to have them do the same thing on this one.Stay tuned ,I'll post if the issue is resolved.

bala08 04-16-2022 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by williewonka (Post 130495)
I've had the same problem with two different fords trucks that I have owned. I'm dealing with one right now. The local ford dealer just replaced A front wheel bearing last week. The noise is still there. My 2017 had the same problem and Ford greased the front hubs to take care of the issue. I'm taking my truck in Monday to have them do the same thing on this one.Stay tuned ,I'll post if the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the info. Hope to hear how your other truck turned out.