Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front axial noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 06:43 AM
Default Front axial noise

I have a 2016 f150 FX4 with 38k miles and just as I roll to a stop or roll at 5 mph there is a rotating sound coming from the front axial. Ford did replace both left and right wheel assembly, but still makes the rotating sound. Any ideas what this could be?

Old 01-18-2022, 07:16 AM

There are a lot of things up front.
Can you be more specific, like is the noise louder on one side than the other ?
Do you get it when 4 wheel drive is engaged and hubs locked or only unlocked?
Does applying the brakes change the sound any?
The more info you can provide the better.

Old 01-18-2022, 07:46 AM

The sound is coming from the front drivers side only as I am slowing down to stop at a traffic light or cruising through a parking lot at 5 or 10 mph. Appling the brakes does not change the sound, I even replaced the brakes to try an eliminate the noise but no change. As far as I can tell I only hear it in 2 wheel drive. I hear it just as I am about to come to a stop. It's a rotating or warping or out of balance sound. I still have the Ford warranty and have brought it to Ford several times but they ca not narrow down the noise.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:06 PM

To the best of your knowledge, has anyone considered switching the front wheel with the rear wheel?

Old 01-19-2022, 03:42 AM

Maybe a wheel bearing or the joint itself. I highly doubt a tire will make noise at 5 MPH. An issue with the brakes could do that but you stated they are new. If your dealer's service dept. is not skilled enough to locate the noise, it's time to seek out another dealer who won't throw their hands up and give up.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by raski
Maybe a wheel bearing or the joint itself. I highly doubt a tire will make noise at 5 MPH. An issue with the brakes could do that but you stated they are new. If your dealer's service dept. is not skilled enough to locate the noise, it's time to seek out another dealer who won't throw their hands up and give up.

Thank you!

Old 01-19-2022, 06:57 AM

I have rotated the wheels and tires.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:59 AM

The reason I asked about the wheel is because people hit things and either don't recall or don't care to mention these things.

I have seen where a rim was flexing and driving the people nuts
I have even seen where lug nuts were loose and completely missed.

Tires do not make any kind of noise a very low speeds, pretty sure we all know that.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:26 AM

I've had the same problem with two different fords trucks that I have owned. I'm dealing with one right now. The local ford dealer just replaced A front wheel bearing last week. The noise is still there. My 2017 had the same problem and Ford greased the front hubs to take care of the issue. I'm taking my truck in Monday to have them do the same thing on this one.Stay tuned ,I'll post if the issue is resolved.

Old 04-16-2022, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by williewonka
I've had the same problem with two different fords trucks that I have owned. I'm dealing with one right now. The local ford dealer just replaced A front wheel bearing last week. The noise is still there. My 2017 had the same problem and Ford greased the front hubs to take care of the issue. I'm taking my truck in Monday to have them do the same thing on this one.Stay tuned ,I'll post if the issue is resolved.
Thanks for the info. Hope to hear how your other truck turned out.

Quick Reply: Front axial noise