Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please!!! with factory installed security system

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Default Help Please!!! with factory installed security system

I have recently purchased a 95 ford f 150... gorgeous truck, love it!!! Except....

My other vehicle was stolen, so the f150 is the replacement. I thought I was being a smart guy by purchasing something with a security system.

The F150 I have has a factory installed security system with a key fob. The security system is set up to "lock" the starter circuit if the computer detects a break in attempt.

I am in and out of my truck about a dozen times a day. I always use the key fob to lock and unlock the doors. About once every two days, (using the fob to open the doors), the starter circuit remains "locked". I have tried what the manual says, but the starter circuit remains locked. I spoke with my ford dealership service department and they said there should be a valet switch somewhere, but not sure where. I have to sit for one hour and 15 minutes to wait for the starter circuit to "re-enable". I am so frustrated from being locked out from starting my truck that I can't even think straight.

Please help!!! I need to know how to re-enable the starter circuit or where to find the valet switch.

Thanks. Andrew

Old 08-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Default RE: Help Please!!! with factory installed security system

It sounds like the battery in the fob is dying. I would try to change it. Hope this help's

Old 08-06-2006, 09:33 PM

Thank You for your reply, however the batteries in the fob are brand new.

The problem exists even if I use the Power door locks to lock the doors or use the key to lock and unlock the doors.

Any other suggestions would be tremendously appreciated.

Andrew

Old 08-07-2006, 10:53 AM

I've seen the valet switch on the door side of the drivers side at the base of the panel on some vehicles. I have also seen it on the center councel side at the base of the panel on the driver's side, too. It's usually just a toggle switch. Hope this helps.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

There could be different ways for a Valet switch. The red LED that flashes, could be a push button as well. Push on the LED to see if it is a push button. Now don't know if this could be it as well, since my mustang is an 06, but my LED sits beneath the dash below the steering wheel. It can be seen from outside the car when looking in. The switch is on the back of the bracket holding the LED.

The problem is odd, SOunds like maybe the unit is going bad, or the relay that turns the circuit starter circuit off is going bad. My guess is the relay.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:34 PM

Thank You all for your suggestions... I do have more information that may help you help me.

I have owned the truck for only 4 weeks now. I bought the truck privately and the previous owner did not mention anything out of the ordinary with the security system. One of the main reasons why I bought the truck is because of the security system. My last truck (92 Explorer Eddie Bauer) was stolen.

Some things that I have discovered since first putting up my post...
I have torn off both kick panels... I cannot see a valet switch anywhere under the kick panels.
I have scoured the underside of the dash... If there is a valet switch under the dash somewhere, It is not too willing to be found
I have taken the batteries out of the key fob just to make sure there is not a signal crossing into the circuitry some how.
When I am unlocking the doors with the key, if I turn the key the wrong way first and re-lock the doors, then turn the key to unlock the doors, the starter circuit will disable. If I unlock the doors with the key and turn it the correct direction to unlock the doors, but accidentally press the power door lock button twice to unlock the doors, the starter circuit will disable.
The last thing that I discovered just yesterday... the starter circuit was disabled, I was 150 miles from home... I was super frustrated cuz it happened a few times over the weekend, I had the key in the ignition with the drivers door open... about one minute with the door open, the door chime rang just once. About 30 seconds later, the door chime started ringing as it should with the door open and the key in the ignition. Shortly after the door chime starting to ring, I turned the key and the truck started.

I just wish there were some way to find the valet switch or know of a proven method to re-enable the starter circuit. Or maybe I could learn where the starter relay is and replace that and try that.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

PS... My security system does not have an led light. I do not have the touch pad keyless entry. I have a key fob with a "lock" button, and "unlock" button and a "panic" button.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:49 PM

Do you know wich model system you have. Or if it is a aftermarket system. If so post the alarm maker.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:48 PM

I have to believe that the security system is a Ford factory installed system.

The key fob I have has the Ford oval emblem molded into it.

I do not have any information other then that.

I do not think it is an aftermarket product because of what I see on the key fob.

It is definately possible that it is a ford product that was installed aftermarket... I just have no way of proving one way or another...

I believe it is a ford product installed by the factory.

On the back of the key fob is the FCC ID number and a DOC number. I don't know what DOC is.
There is also a TRW inc. number 3165189

PS... I do have the owners manual and it has a couple of pages talking about the factory installed security system and how to arm it and disarm it. It also talks about the security system as it applies to disabling the starter circuit, but again, everything that it talks about does not work on my truck.

Thanks very much to everyone for your perseverence and patience.

Andrew

Old 08-08-2006, 06:02 PM

Does the manual say what model it is for ?

Old 08-08-2006, 06:07 PM

That is a good question...

I will check after work and post later on tonight. I will be getting home from work about 7pm and it is 2 now.

Quick Reply: Help Please!!! with factory installed security system