Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Help removing Headlight switch and dash trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Default Help removing Headlight switch and dash trim

Hello everyone,
Nice to find a forum like this. I have a 1994 F150. Anyway, I want to get to the plastic that covers my speedometer and remove it. Everything is VERY dusty behind it and I want to clean it. Problem is I cannot get the trim off from around it. I removed the 2 narrow strips of trim from either side of the steering wheel and the screws beneath it. I also removed the screws below and on either side of the wheel. But I cannot get the whole piece to seperate from the main dash. Feels like its clipped all around the top or something. Whats the Trick? Also, how do I remove the headlight swich. I cannot get up under the dash to even touch it. It sure seems like I have to pull out the headlight lever to remove this part of the dash. Any help would be great.
Jeff

Old 11-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Default RE: Help removing Headlight switch and dash trim

Ok...I too have a 94 and recently replaced the lights in the dash. On both sides of the steering column there should be a trim piece. Those snap off and there should be one screw under each piece of trim. As far as the headlight switch if you pull out on the switch and look at the back of the **** you will see a little metal ring that is around the shaft that goes into the switch itself. It should be at a slight angle to the shaft itself, if you take a small straight screwdriver and push on the side of the ring that is farthest away from the ****, towards the front of the ****, then the **** should slide off. This is different than the older style switches that had a button on the body of the switch. I have drawn a picture to kinda show you what it looks like.

[IMG]local://upfiles/259/96D1016CC923410B805571178798F453.jpg[/IMG]