Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

How does leaking fuel injector seize the engine?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Default How does leaking fuel injector seize the engine?

So, I am Army, just moved to Hawaii. My 2005 F150 took a month to get here. It traveled by car hauler from Seattle to LA and then on boat to Hawaii. We pick it up at the port and drive it the 30 miles back to base with no issues. Stop at car wash to clean salt and dirt off. Have a little difficulty getting it started again and after it is running, the engine is really rough, like it wants to quit. So I drive it right over to the Firestone on base and ask them to see what the problem is. The next day, they tell my wife that the fuel injector is leaking and the leaking fuel seized the engine. They can't get it started. We have to have the truck towed 30 miles to a dealership or there is a place just off base which will be cheaper as far as labor costs. So here it is just before Christmas and my 2005 F150 with only 44,000 (we bought it new) miles on it needs a new engine. Our extended warranty ran out October 2010.
I am no mechanic or really that savvy with auto repair but I have never heard of a leaking fuel injector seizing up an engine. I have heard of seized engines from lack of oil, pushing the rpms over the limit, or some other over exertion of the engine but never from a fuel leak. The off post place doesn't have room to accept the truck for diagnosis or repairs until 7 DEC and we plan on calling the dealership on 5 DEC because we heard rumors that Ford is handling leaking fuel injector repairs at no cost to owners. Any advice or information I can get would be helpful so I can engage Ford or the engine shop intelligently. Thanks

Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM

A leaking injector will fill the cylinder with fuel and keep the engine from turning over. You cannot compress a liquid so the engine will not go any farther.

Ford extended the warranty on the injectors to 10 years or 120k miles I believe. If I had the VIN I can check for you. Or ask the dealer about it. If it is an injector, Ford should repair anything that was damaged by the problem.

Last edited by way2old; 12-04-2011 at 06:06 PM.