Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Default misfire

I have a '97 f150 (4.6 L - 8 cyl) that for the past 6 months has run rough and come up with cylinder 2, 4 7? misfires. The plugs and wires were changed 5 months ago. It was fine for while. Then misfire happened again. We replaced a faulty wire. It was okay for a while. It happened again (check engine - running rough). My mechanic told me one of the ignition coils was gone. I replaced both. It ran okay for a weeek or so. Same problem again. Mechanic said bad wires (again) so I had them replaced again (3rd time). I drove about 15 km and the light came on again(this was yesterday). I want to drive this vehicle (which I loved up until recently) off a cliff. I've had two mechanics look at this #1) auto shop teacher at the school I teach at and # 2) the top guy in town. Neither guy can seem to figure this out.

HELP ME !!!!

Dave

Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 PM
Default RE: misfire

PCM issue? Maybe coil driver not working properly.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:43 PM

i had this same issue with my 97 f150 as well. the ignition cap or coil cap ( what ever that rubber distributer is on the top of the engine ) was some how getting water in it and the watter was leaking into the holes were the spark plug wires plugged into. i just bought a new one and installed it and the problem was gone. i also replaced my wires and coils just like you. no mechanic could find the problem on my truck either. the way i found it out is i got fed up, poped the hood and just started pulling wires and plugging them back in untill i saw a diffrence in the way it was running, as i was pulling on a wire i noticed a bunch of water come out . at a closer inspection i saw the crack and knew right away what had to be done.. take your truck to a car was, spray the engine down then wait for it to dry. then pop off the wires one at a time on the distributer cap ( if thats what its called ) untill you find one that is holding water, if you see water, then thats your problem. if no wter ... then its somethign else.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Dan

Old 12-02-2007, 06:09 PM

i have a 86 f150 that had a miss like it wanted to turn of or would idle real high and then idle real low. It would go up and down and some times i would have to keep one foot on the brake and give it a little gas to keep it on while stopped at a light.

i changed the M.A.P. sensor and fix the problem...this had been going for the pass 3 years and now it purrs and i get better mileage...