Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No power from 7 conductor trailer plug for BU lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Default No power from 7 conductor trailer plug for BU lights

I have checked the fuse and power is on it and relay looks ok. But no output at the 7 pin trailer outlet. Is there anything else I should check. Wish I had an EVTM for this thing. 2013 F150 STX

Old 04-02-2018, 07:23 PM

I would take my tester and check to see if you have power to the plug . Make sure you have a good ground on the tester first and probe each wire to see if your tester light comes on .If there is no power going to the connector I would start tracing back words .If you have power to the 7 point connector and nothing coming out I would say get a new connector or try to take that one apart for a visual inspection . Its kind of strange that nothing is coming out . You have a ground wire ,wired in the 7 prong plug make sure the ground wire is grounded . You can get a color code for that 7 prong plug on the internet just put 7 prong trailer plug in search engine .

Last edited by Jerbear; 04-02-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Should be 2 fuses..

The Body Control Module controls the Reversing Lamp Relays contact closing meaning the internal elect coil, and it’s protected in the Body Control Module F15-15amp. The other fuse is in the Battery Junction Box F43-15amp and it protects the lamp loads through the closed relay. If the fuses check out, and if you have a meter or a test light, relay removed, two of the reversing relay terminals will have power,, one with the ‘Key On’ (reverse selected) is terminal 1 and should then be powered, and the other will be ‘Hot at all times’ on terminal 3.
Terminal 2 is ground (checked to chassis), and terminal 5 is the lamp feed to the 7 way connector when the relay is commanded closed.

Try and verify both applications of power, then check the relay to ground-chassis, and if all prove out, could be a drop out in the circuit on back...

Old 04-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Default No full time power to relay.

Originally Posted by Hayapower
Should be 2 fuses..

The Body Control Module controls the Reversing Lamp Relays contact closing meaning the internal elect coil, and it’s protected in the Body Control Module F15-15amp. The other fuse is in the Battery Junction Box F43-15amp and it protects the lamp loads through the closed relay. If the fuses check out, and if you have a meter or a test light, relay removed, two of the reversing relay terminals will have power,, one with the ‘Key On’ (reverse selected) is terminal 1 and should then be powered, and the other will be ‘Hot at all times’ on terminal 3.
Terminal 2 is ground (checked to chassis), and terminal 5 is the lamp feed to the 7 way connector when the relay is commanded closed.

Try and verify both applications of power, then check the relay to ground-chassis, and if all prove out, could be a drop out in the circuit on back...
is the body control module the fuse panel in the passenger kick panel? F15 is good and has power. But no full time power to relay. Only when key on and in reverse. I’m unclear where the body control module is.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:46 PM

Basshunter try doing a search for that body control module and see what you find . Maybe do the search and ad you tube ???/ One guy says there is a body control module behind the back seat but didn't specify where behind the back seat. This was from a different forum.

Last edited by Jerbear; 04-03-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

BCM is in the R/kick panel and carries fuse F15-25amp, which is ‘key On power’’,, the other fuse F43-15amp is in the Battery Junction Box with the relay.. It should be ‘Hot at all times’.
If for instance a trailer plug/reversing lamps were shorted, or was wired in wrong on the trailer side, F43 would likely pop.. If they prove out, then checking the relay socket/terminals as noted would be the next step..

Old 04-04-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hayapower
BCM is in the R/kick panel and carries fuse F15-25amp, which is ‘key On power’’,, the other fuse F43-15amp is in the Battery Junction Box with the relay.. It should be ‘Hot at all times’.
If for instance a trailer plug/reversing lamps were shorted, or was wired in wrong on the trailer side, F43 would likely pop.. If they prove out, then checking the relay socket/terminals as noted would be the next step..
looks like I must have an open circuit between F43 and the relay then inside the junction block. Thanks for the help. At least it’s easy to get to. Lol