Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.

Replacing transmission on 2011 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Default Replacing transmission on 2011 F-150

So I was driving back from a mini vacation with my 2011 F-150 (58,000 miles, 6R80 transmission) and all of a sudden the vehicle jerked. As I pulled onto the side of the road, the wrench light came on indicating a transmission issue. The trans temp then shot up to 240 degrees. After about 10 minutes, the temp was normal again. Since I was in the middle of the desert, there was not really much else I could do but tough it out. Once I got back home, I dropped the truck off to the dealer. At this time, the vehicle would no longer shift out of first gear.

I received a call from the dealership today saying that the transmission fluid was completely empty. I had my vehicle in for an oil change service and fluid checks less than a month ago to the dealer and they said everything was fine. When the dealer called me today, they told me I need a brand new transmission at the shocking price of $7,310!! I have been a life long Ford buyer and my father has been employed with Ford for 45+ years.

Does anyone have any advice on what can be done? I could have it towed to a different transmission shop in town but the dealer will still charge me labor for checking it out.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site..

Did they say where the fluid went? What leaked? If a reman isn't an option, I'd look into a used trans. I've installed many dismantler units. Key is your find a low mile as possible trans. I prefer a body damaged pull, (mileage verified) and they generally come with a guarantee.. An option..

Old 03-22-2017, 10:33 PM

He never said where the fluid went. Is it true that this truck model is a sealed system? He told me that even though the mechanic that did my oil change checked off that the transmission fluid was fine, it wouldn't have been checked because there's no dip stick for the transmission. I never received warning lights of any sort until the problem actually happened.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:07 PM

An update to this.... I contacted Ford customer service and told them my issue about the vehicle being under the mileage warranty but over on time warranty. The person escalated the issue to a regional manager who contacted me today saying she is investigating the matter. The original person I spoke with said that it's a really good thing that it was escalated like this. I'm hoping they're not just blowing smoke and can actually assist with my issue.

Old 03-24-2017, 03:52 AM

Hope this helps...

As long as you're not nasty to the Ford Rep, you will go a long way towards getting the issue resolved. It may take a little time, so be patient. I go a new tranny for my 1983 Ranger when it had 55,000 miles on it and it was 5 years old due to a mechanics error (Factory warrant back then was 2 yr/ 24,000 miles). I calmly explained my case and within a month, Ford installed a new 4-speed tranny and ate my car rental bill. Times may change, but people don't (nobody likes being yelled at).

Also note that the fluid level can be checked. They just didn't want to put it on a lift and go thru the motions required to check it.

See here...

Last edited by Use Common Sense; 03-24-2017 at 03:54 AM.