Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing issue, please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Default Timing issue, please Help

Ihave a 85 Ford F-150 4x4, fuel injected 302. I need to replace the Cap, rotor, plugs and wires. I put a new module on the distributur but had to pull it in order to get the module off. I sat the distibuter in what I thought was a safe place (tailgate) after I removed the module so I could go to the parts store. When I arrived back home, my 4 yr old daughter, playing outside and being curious had takin the wires off, the cap off the distibuter, andbroke the rotor, and my marks are gone as to how the distributer was semi located!!!!

Problems
1. I have tried to time this truck before but cant find a timing mark on the balancer when i put my light on it.
2. original 302 pulled and replaced by previous owner butonly info on what the 302 came from was, crown victoria-unknown yr.
3. How can I get the #1 cylinder to tdc so I can put a mark on the balancer (I am working alone)
4. How would I find out the model yr of this engine? Is there markings or castings I could go by?

Recommendations anyone.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Default RE: Timing issue, please Help

The balancer will have a mark on it, but can be difficult to see because of rust, dirt, etc. With the engin off, use a flash light to look over the balancer to find the mark. Once you find it, use some paint, nail polish, etc. to color the mark so it stands out.

To get the engine to TDC, put a ratchet wrench on the bolt in the center of the balancer and turn the engine over. Disconnect the coil wire or battery before doing this (if you have the plugs and wires on.)