Ford F-150 The entry level full size truck from Ford, one of America's best selling for decades.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump and freeze plugs being replaced on possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 AM
Default Water pump and freeze plugs being replaced on possible purchase

i am sapposed to buy a truck 3 hrs from me...two days ago I was told everything was fine with it...no issues at all..... now i was told today it is having a new water pump put on, carborator gadket replaced, and freeze plugs replaced. Should be ready by tonight. I am worried about a cracked block....should I be?

this is a ‘95 F150 with the 5.0 V8..... if I decide I am still interested in it and go check it out......what are some things to look for to make sure the engine is still okay?

thanks for your help in advance....

Old 01-15-2019, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the site..
95 wouldn’t have a carburetor...
How many miles on the truck?

Given it’s vintage status, a water pump wouldn’t be alarming. Freeze/expansion plugs I’d bet were being replaced because of rust through areas rather than the block freezing. But certainly a possibility depending on where the truck is and if the anti freeze content was inadequate. If the cooling system was questionable, the radiator, heater core, as well as all the cooling hoses may be on the table to be an issue. But, a 95, they may be timing out anyway.

Freeze plugs are situated low in the block, any debris that circulates and then settles at the bottoms areas of the plugs, time, corrosion, and electrolysis can eat away at the plugs more so if the antifreeze rust inhibitors can’t get to the complete plug face, or they’ve been subject to weak coolant/anti rust and the lack of service care.
Upon inspection, look into the cooling system, overflow tank usually tells the story if it’s brown and rust stained, or for evidence of dirty/rusty deposits in, around, on, the engine or the engine bay components.
Ask lots of questions,, like, are there any maintenance records that go with the truck to support it’s interval service care?

If the truck is clean, well pedigreed with hopefully normal care, a water pump change, and/or freeze plugs wouldn’t be over concerning for me, as long as the work was done right, and the ‘why’ was clear to me....